HEALTHY LOW CARB Turkey Zucchini Meat Loaf stuffed with pepper jack and topped with the most delicious sauce EVER!
Zucchini, zucchini, ZUCCHINI. It’s taking over my life. I’m not sure I mind so much, but I can tell you that I’m getting sick of shredding the zucchini. I have a few more to use up but after that I don’t think you’ll see another zucchini recipe from me in quite sometime. My right arm physically hurts from zucchini shredding syndrome. Yes, it’s officially a syndrome (in the AK book anyway).
I realize I’ve been doing various baked goods with zucchini so this time I wanted to bring you something a little savory like this turkey zucchini meatloaf. I decided that adding some zucchini to a turkey meatloaf would not only be a great way to get my veggies in, but also to add moisture (since I use lean turkey).
And as if that wasn’t enough, I just had to throw in a little pepper jack in the middle because I’m all about a little kick. It’s funny, I actually don’t consider pepper jack to be spicy; my Mom used to serve jalapenos at nearly every meal so I think my taste buds have adapted to the point where I can pour oodles of Sriracha on my meals without any effect.
Not sure if that’s a good thing or not?
So, for all of you mamas out there or meal preppers this is a fantastic healthy recipe and makes terrific leftovers. I was chowing down on it for a few days with a nice sweet potato on the side.
The awesome sauce is well… AWESOME. It’s sweet but spicy and really adds a ton of flavor to the meatloaf. (It’s originally from my lentil loaf recipe.)
And please don’t put that Heinz corn syrup stuff on your meatloaf. Yes I just said that; don’t hate me!
I’m a HUGE fan of ketchup (as in I put that sh*t on everything and I don’t buy Heinz), however you can easily make delicious EASY homemade awesome meatloaf sauce yourself. Trust in the power of this recipe.
Okay now I’m craving brownies and have more zucchini waiting. Wish me luck.
If you make anything from AK, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram — I love seeing your creations and featuring followers! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Snapchat (username: ambitiouskitch).
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 262
- Fat: 13.2g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 22.9g
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (at least 94%)
- 1 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup italian style panko breadcrumbs* (may use GF breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like heat)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 oz sliced pepper jack cheese
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- dash of soy sauce (gluten free, if desired)
- dash of hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine turkey, onion, zucchini, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, spices, mustard and salt and pepper. Use your hands or a large spoon to mix until well combined. I find that it's much easier to combine the ingredients if you use your hands.
- Place half of meat mixture on foil-lined pan and shape into a 10x4 inch rectangle. Top with pepper jack evenly, leaving about an 1/2 inch of room on the sides. Top with the remaining meat mixture, enclosing the cheese completely and sealing the side together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, soy sauce and hot sauce if desired. Spread half of the awesome sauce on top of the meat loaf, reserve other half for when meatloaf is finished baking.
- Bake meatloaf for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Top with remaining sauce and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices.