Thank goodness it’s Friday!
I have to admit that this week I was a little bummed. I don’t know if it’s because Bella cheated on Edward, or if it’s because I got rid of THIRTEEN pairs of shoes yesterday. Yes, THIRTEEN! It’s not like I ever wore them, but seriously getting rid of shoes is like throwing away memories.
So I took myself shoe shopping to make up for it.
I’m a girl… it’s what we do. Anyway I feel much better now. I even made myself a cute little appetizer to start the weekend the right.
And I think that you just have to make these little pita pizzas too! They are my new favorite thing.
If you’ve never roasted berries before then now is the time to start; it’s so wonderful! The heat from the oven brings out the sugars and juice, giving you a melt in your mouth sweetness that will make you want to savor every single bite of the fruit.
Roasting berries had been on my bucket list for a while, but throwing them on a whole wheat pita and topping it with caramelized onion, mozzarella, and arugula? Completely spur of the moment and just a little bit heavenly.
I served these at a party and they disappeared in seconds!
Wearing new heels and making delicious pita pizzas with roasted berries.
Someone’s Friday just got better.
Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Cherry Pita Pizzas with Arugula
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 10 dark red cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 or 4 whole wheat pitas (I use 100 calorie pitas)
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss strawberries and cherries in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread on baking sheet and place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat medium saute pan over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add onions and stir frequently until onions begin to brown.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt. Cook 1 more minute and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Place whole wheat pitas on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush pitas with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Evenly distribute roasted strawberries and cherries, cheese, onions onto pitas. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees or until edges of pitas begin to turn golden brown.
Top each pita with arugula and cut into triangles. Drizzle with addition balsamic vinegar and top with fresh black pepper and salt if desired. Serves 2-4.
More recipes you’ll love: