In my dream world I’d live on the beach, have a Whole Foods salad bar in my kitchen, and eat magical zero calorie banana cream pie every day for dessert.
I’d enjoy every sunrise with a continental breakfast and buy a German Shepard just because I think they’re really cute. I’d visit Machu Picchu, bungee jump daily, and make s’mores for a bedtime snack. I’d own a banana bread only bakery that serves wine. Oh and I certainly would NEVER spill wine on my white jeans (it happened this weekend).
But that’s all just in my dream world.
In real life I’m making big batches of pancakes on Sundays, chasing dogs around the neighborhood when they run away, and convincing myself to exercise daily.
Lately I’ve been testing out recipes. Usually on kids because they never lie to you; they either like it or they don’t.
Here’s Ava testing out a layered cake I made. I think I need to start renting kids for recipe testing.
Next week I’m headed out to California again! From the moment I first visited, I fell in love with it. And now I couldn’t be more excited! I’ll take a million photographs and update my about me page soon. There are so many things that I can’t wait to share with you.
For now, I made you some healthy pancakes. Wait… are they healthy if they have chocolate chips in them? That’s up to you! I try to keep them lower in calories by using egg whites, high protein greek yogurt, and quinoa. I also recommend using whole wheat white flour.
But first let’s just eat some feel-good super romantic and always delicious pancakes.
My only problem with pancakes? Deciding if I want blueberry or chocolate chip. Since I love both, I added them to my quinoa pancake batter. Yeah my brain is pretty weird; however, my taste buds are not. These are a gift from the universe.
Aren’t you a little intrigued? Maybe puzzled with the combination?
Whatever your thought, I assure you that these pancakes are a whole lot of deliciousness. Blueberry chocolate chip pancakes are kind of just an essential life experience. Something you need to try at least once.
Or a million times. Whatever!
Juicy, warm berries plus über creamy chocolate chips packed in a healthy little pancake. Take it over the top by serving them in pure maple syrup (or peanut butter!) and chasing with a glass of ice-cold milk.
It certainly is a little part of my dream world come true.
Blueberry Chocolate Chip Quinoa Pancakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (skim, soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Fresh fruit or fruit preserves (optional), for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, milk, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add vanilla and whisk again. Next gently fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes.
Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter. Makes 8-10 pancakes.
More pancake recipes you’ll love: