My first memories of waffles are the ones from the local breakfast spot on Sundays after church. They were gigantic, crispy on the outside and topped with real whipped cream. A true breakfast indulgence that’s especially wonderful when you’re a kid.
Now that I’m older, my eating habits have changed somewhat. I mostly seek recipes that that fill me up with fiber, protein and healthy fats. Typically I go for a hearty breakfast of eggs, turkey bacon, a banana and any kind of nut butter I can find in my cupboard. However, there are days when I get cravings for a waffle the size of my face and just have to give in.
I’ve been on a quest to create perfect paleo waffle recipe for quite some time, but just couldn’t seem to get the ingredient ratios right until now. And my goodness, are these guys just incredible! The base of this recipe is made up of almond butter. I haven’t tested it with any other nut butter, but I’m assuming it would work quite nicely with cashew or peanut!
Watch this video to see how to make the paleo waffles:
The blueberry almond butter combination is just as lovely as it sounds. A hint of cinnamon and vanilla makes them even more delicious then you can imagine.
Now because of the precise measurements and ingredients, I wouldn’t alter the recipe in any way. I know many of you like to try modifications, but I can’t promise results if you do change things up.
How to serve these paleo waffles
These waffles are crispy and golden on the outside and quite lovely for soaking up maple syrup. A drizzle of honey on these would be lovely too!
Other paleo breakfast recipes you might like:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below or snap a photo and share it on Instagram with the tag #ambitiouskitchen!
Almond Butter Blueberry Paleo Waffles
Blueberry paleo waffles made with almond butter and just a tiny bit of coconut flour. No sugar added, and naturally fiber and protein packed! They’re crispy and golden on the outside and perfect for soaking up maple syrup – yum!
- 2/3 cup natural creamy almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (only if your almond butter isn't salted)
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together almond butter, eggs, banana, almond extract, coconut oil and almond milk until well combined and there aren't any large lumps.
- Stir in coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix until well combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron and cook until steam stops and waffles are golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside. Repeat with remaining batter. Recipe makes about 3 belgian waffles. Serving size = 1/2 belgian waffle.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen
Photography by: Sarah Fennel // Broma Bakery