There are so many wonderful things about Fall. Most of them involve food.
Fall baking, Halloween, Thanksgiving, apple picking, pumpkin carving. I can’t wait!
I highly suggest spending one day doing the following:
Throw on oversized sweatpants and a sweatshirt and cuddle up with a nice big mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate with lots of marshmallows. Do not worry about hair or make up. You’ll be watching chick flicks anyway from dawn until dusk.
You could get fancy and throw in a batch of Dark Chocolate Brownies. If you get lonely and want friends over, then make Sea Salted Caramel Brownies. Also… you might want to peep in a mirror or take a shower.
Now it is Fall so you might want to consider baking Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. Obviously bound to be a favorite.
… but since you are a great host (of course), you’ll need to make the perfect Fall meal first.
How about a Quick & Spicy Tomato Soup from Giada? Viola! Warm and delicious Italian.
But wait! You’ll need an appetizer to keep blood sugar levels stable and to keep friends happy.
And of course, what’s better than my Roasted Eggplant & Zucchini Bruschetta with Basil and Feta on toast?
The combination of all of the above makes a great meal for that relaxing Fall day, even if you aren’t watching The Notebook.
But seriously, invite me over if you are.
Roasted Eggplant & Zucchini Bruschetta with Basil and Feta
- 1 small or medium eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced fat feta
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 loaf of whole wheat french baguette
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place foil on cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl mix eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and black pepper together. Spread across cookie sheet so it's even, and roast for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare bread by cutting 12 1/2 inch slices, and spray each with non stick cooking spray. You can either toast in toaster oven, or place in oven once eggplant is finished for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Once finished, spread eggplant mixture on toasts immediately and sprinkle feta on top.