Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are healthy, moist and insanely delicious! Who wants one?!
Random Friday posts are good sometimes, right? They add a little jazz in between the food porn shots.
And so, here we go. I’m telling you 10 random things about me. There’s no rhyme or reason to it!
- I blew out the speakers on my new car after a month. I’m going to go deaf. No biggie.
- I eat peanut butter out of the jar on a daily basis. Don’t even try to judge that right there. That’s real life.
- My dog is nicknamed Oscar de La Renta. He’s proud. I’m going to buy him a pink collar soon. He’ll figure it out.
- I have plans to attend culinary school. Someday, somehow! Let me pay off all of my student loans first. Or win the lottery?
- If I wasn’t so into food and cooking, I’d probably be a fitness instructor, doctor, or nutritionist.
- I have to confess that I drank close to a bottle of wine after my juice cleanse. Do you think that reversed the cleanse? Meh.
- I am addicted to BuzzFeed. You should be too.
- That new Almond Joy frosting was spooned out of the jar last week…. straight into my mouth. I suggest you find it and do the same.
- Zac Efron and I will get married someday. Obviously.
- These zucchini banana muffins? MY FAVORITE MUFFINS EVER! NO SERIOUSLY. EVER.
Remember those zucchini brownies I made last week? Holy fudge those were delicious and kind of got me a wee bit obsessed with zucchini. I’m sure you have an abundance of zucchini that needs to be used up, too!
Anyway I thought that I might as well put them in muffins… you guys know how much I love muffins.
I wonder if the muffin man is hiring an assistant? Probs not.
These muffins are incredibly moist from a multitude of healthy ingredients: zucchini, applesauce, banana, greek yogurt and a tiny bit of coconut oil.
All of these substitutes help to keep the calories of the muffins in check which allowed me to add in chocolate chips so they feel a little bit indulgent at the same time.
The best part? These muffins only have 153 calories! Plus you get over 4g of protein per muffin. Yum!
I based this zucchini banana chocolate chip muffin recipe off of my lovely honey whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread which uses whole wheat pastry flour.
When you bake these, I highly recommend using whole wheat pastry flour. It’s a lighter whole wheat flour that keeps baked goods light and fluffy. If you can’t find it at the store, I suggest using a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose.
Enjoy these big, soft healthy muffins. They’re freezer friendly and a great way to use up zucchini!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 153
- Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 27.2g
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Fiber: 3.0g
- Protein: 4.3g
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips (I like mini)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Remember not to over mix the batter -- we want moist muffins! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. The batter will probably reach the top of each muffin liner, but that's okay -- we're making big muffins! Alternatively you can reduce the size and bake 15 muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!-