Tony and I are getting ready to move into our new apartment next week. I can’t believe it’s already here! We’re really excited because not only is the kitchen bigger, but we’ll also have a second bedroom that I plan on transforming into an office/guest bedroom.
I have to admit that we haven’t started packing yet. In fact I’m actually in Boston and Vermont for the next few days visiting Sarah. So of course, we’ll do everything last minute and eat every last thing in the fridge. That’s why this granola is going to really come in handy on busy packing mornings.
I didn’t really discover my love of granola until about a year ago. And granted, there are some pretty lovely flavors and brands out there, but after you make your own, there isn’t any turning back. You can make it crunchy, control the ingredients and add your favorite nuts, spices, fruit, etc.
This version is simple, classic and full of aroma and spice. Another reason to love it? All of the lovely nutrition from the chia seeds, flax, oats, nuts and coconut oil. Honestly, it feels wonderful knowing that you nourish your body with healthy food.
Some ways to enjoy this crunchy healthy granola:
- With almond or coconut milk
- With Greek yogurt
- On a banana or an apple topped with nut butter
Let me know if you make this by leaving a comment below, or tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram with a photo of your creation. Xo!
More healthy snack recipes you’ll love:
Superfood Coconut Oil Granola with Chia & Flax
Healthy coconut oil granola naturally sweetened with honey. Delicious nutrition from chia, flax, pecans, and almonds. It’s simple, classic, full of aroma, and perfect for snacking or an on-the-go breakfast.
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten free, if desired)
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 3/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, oat flour, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, almonds, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Add coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract to a small saucepan and place over low heat, stirring frequently until coconut oil is completely melted. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well until oats are completely coated. Sometimes I find it necessary to use my hands.
Next spread the granola evenly in the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes stir granola and add dried fruit, if you are using. Return granola to the oven and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until granola is slightly golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow the granola to cool completely on the baking sheet so that little clumps stay intact. Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container. Best used within 7-10 days. Makes 10 servings.