What’s In My Hospital Bag (+ free printable checklist!)
Wondering what to pack in the hospital bag for delivery? I’m sharing the ultimate hospital bag checklist for mom, baby, dads and partners + a free hospital bag printable checklist. This list includes my essential items plus extras you might want to consider.
Before we begin this post, I want to start off by saying everything I’ve learned throughout my pregnancies so far has been from all of YOU, my doula, midwife and amazing resources like Evidence Based Birth. And of course, through my own experience.
I originally published this post before I had my first baby and I’ve updated it with everything I’m bringing this time around. I wanted to share what to pack in a hospital bag for moms, dads/wives/partners and babies; it’s truly the ultimate resource AND I’ve even included a FREE hospital bag printable checklist with everything you’ll likely want/need + a few extras!
I hope you find it helpful! xo.
For Mom & Baby:
- Baby blanket: love having this for bringing him home in or just laying him on.
- H&M Nursing bras: I got these months ago and love them. Literally only bra I wear and will be bringing them to the hospital with me.
- Long phone cord charger: everyone told me to bring a long phone charger and it’s a game changer. You’ll never go back to regular cords again, ha.
- Lip Balm: your lips will get pretty dry during delivery, so bring your fav chapstick.
- Wipes for body: I was sweating on and off during labor last time so I know these are going to come in handy again. Plus they smell AMAZING and are all natural.
- Diffuser: for diffusing those essential oils during your labor. I love peppermint and lavender. Lemon and tangerine are my other favs!
- Essential oils: these are great for your partner to mix with a carrier oil and massage your back during labor, or use them in your diffuser while laboring at home or in the hospital.
- Bluetooth Noise Canceling Wireless Headphones: roll up to the hospital with noise canceling headphones on and your favorite music playing. You can use these anytime you want to cut out the distractions and focus on preparing for birth, which will likely be the entire time.
- Car seat: don’t forget the car seat for going home. Make sure you have it properly installed too!
- Heating pad: heat on your back is amazing when you’re in pain.
- Swaddle blanket: I love the idea of putting our baby in his own cute swaddle so this was a must for me. Of course if you want to skip, know that the hospital will give you a blanket to take home. We loved these swaddles for Sidney.
- Align leggings: comfy leggings for when you’re ready to head home. It’ll be the only thing you wanna wear over the next few months.
- Nécessaire Deodorant: only the best natural deodorant ever. You’re gonna need it! Use the code ‘AK10’ for 10% off!
- Breast feeding pillow: I love this breastfeeding pillow. It makes breastfeeding soooo much easier.
- Hospital bag: cutest bag on the block (or on the maternity ward?)
- Eye Mask: bring one of these if you want to get a little shut eye during your stay in the hospital. You won’t know if it’s going to be day or night or how long you’ll need to be there. This is a MUST.
- Binto prenatal vitamins: I packed a few prenatal vitamins to take after birth as I know I’m going to be incredibly hormonal and need that good nutrition and energy for baby. Again, not necessary, but since I have them, they’re coming with! Use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ to get 20% off your first month of personalized women’s vitamins.
- Frida Mom Washer: way better than the one they’ll give you at the hospital. This will make it less difficult to go to the bathroom. A MUST.
- Hospital/Nursing Gown: you really don’t need anything fancy, but it’s nice to have your own gown!
- Bluetooth speaker: I’m bringing one to use with me during labor and birth. Definitely recommend if you love music.
- Comfy undies: I got these off Amazon and love them. They’re super cozy and stretchy and will hold pads in postpartum.
- Toiletry bottles: we’re bringing our own soap, shampoo and conditioner so we can shower.
- Nipple cream: I love this nipple cream. The hospital should also provide some if you need it, but this one is all natural and so soothing.
- Go home outfit for baby: You’ll need a cute going home outfit for baby because you know pictures are happening. I have also loved getting a few inexpensive things from Kate Quinn Organics.
- Breastfeeding friendly pajamas: all I can say is YES. This is basically my going home outfit. So cozy and soft. you’ll want a nice but comfy gown to relax in post delivery.
- Fuzzy socks: keep your feet warm and cozy, plus they have grips so you won’t slip on the hospital floor.
- Baby file/nail clippers: babies have super sharp nails so you might want to consider bringing clippers!
- Perineal Essentials from Earth Mama: start the healing process early. This is a game changer.
My husband will be my birth partner (again!) and he’s bringing a few things in a small backpack to have:
- Change of clothes
- Comfy lounging clothes
- Phone charger
- Change for vending machine (in case you have a craving!)
Extras to consider
- Extra bag to take home supplies: the hospital will give you a lot of stuff to take home — take it ALL. Also take extra pads, ice packs and mesh undies!
- Extra pillow/blankets for comfort: bring your own pillow or blanket from home for comfort and security. We loved this!
- Makeup to freshen up for photos: if you’re going to take photos at the hospital, you may want to bring makeup.
- Your own towels: because hospital towels suck. Seriously, they are tiny and rough.
- Shower shoes/flip flops: if you don’t like your feet touching public surfaces, bring flip flops.
- Extra pads: this was recommended but the hospital will also provide you with pads.
- Adult diapers/depends: Okay I really did love using depends but waited until I was home to use them.
- Homemade rice sock for portable heat: we’re using this at home and may bring it to the hospital (they have a microwave we can use). Basically you put rice in a cotton sock and microwave it.
Since you have no idea how long you’ll be at the hospital, or what type of food they’ll serve you (yuck, hospital food!), then it’s best to bring plenty of snacks. Here’s what we’re packing:
- GoHydrate Electrolyte packets: I’m obsessed with these natural electrolyte packets that taste like Kool-aid (except with zero sugar!). My fav flavors are fruit punch + grape. Use code ‘AMBITIOUS’ to get your discount!
- Majka energy bites: these are lactation friendly energy bites that help increase milk supply postpartum! I’ve already been eating them (plus they make lactation boosting powders!) Use code ‘ambitious’ for 10% off your first order.
- Your favorite trail mix
- SunChips (my favorite comfort chip!)
- Dried mango
- Peanut butter packets then add them to toast or crackers.
- Organic fruit leather/strips
- Energy bites
- Fig Newton bars (these are SERIOUSLY the best snack)
- To go oatmeal cups
- Homemade healthy granola
- Other ideas include: puffs, plantain chips, meat sticks, roasted chickpeas, mini peanut butter cups, etc.
Looking for more of my go-to’s?
I hope you found this post helpful. Please let me know what you’re packing in your hospital bag in the comments below and of course, what snacks you’re bringing! xo.
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.