I get tons of questions about what snacks are good for breastfeeding moms and how mamas can help boost their supply. While I’m not a lactation consultant, I do have tons of amazing homemade snack recipes that I’ve been eating while breastfeeding that have made a big difference for me during all 3 of my breastfeeding journeys!
I put together some delicious, super nourishing homemade breastfeeding snacks that are not only filled with ingredients that may help boost breast milk supply but are also packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats that are so essential for mamas while breastfeeding. I’ve included my favorite packaged snacks as well, plus some nursing products that have been so helpful for me.
Check them out below and pass them along to the breastfeeding mamas in your life!
Ingredients that boost milk supply & nourish mamas
Lactogenic foods are ones that may help increase milk supply due to their phytoestrogens and other nutrients. Plus, these foods are filled with healthy fats and protein to keep mamas nourished while they breastfeed! Here are some easy ones to add to your diet and use in simple snacks:
- Oats: oats and other whole grains contain iron which is known to have a positive effect on breast milk supply.
- Flaxseed meal: flaxseeds contain phytoestrogens that can help boost breast milk production.
- Brewer’s yeast: this nutritional supplement is high in complex b vitamins, protein and selenium, which are all nutrients new moms need. Not all brewer’s yeast varieties are gluten free, so double check the label when you buy! The brand I linked is gluten free.
- Chickpeas: these little legumes are not only high in protein, but also have plant estrogens may help boost supply.
- Almonds:raw almonds are packed with healthy fats & protein to keep you satisfied and potentially increase breast milk supply.
- Ginger root: fresh ginger is not only the perfect tummy soother, but it also can have a positive effect on breast milk production.
- Leafy greens: kale, spinach, broccoli and other dark leafy greens and packed with calcium, nutrients and phytoestrogens that might help boost supply.
- Protein: in general, eating plenty of lean proteins like chicken, eggs, seafood and nuts is a great way to boost supply and keep you feeling full.
See below for a mix of my favorite homemade and packaged breastfeeding snacks that I’ve been loving the past year while breastfeeding Sidney and now Viggo. They’re all filled with a mix of the above ingredients that might help boost milk supply and make the perfect treats and snacks to gift the new mamas in your life. Enjoy, xo!
Chia Banana Bread Energy Bites
5-minute Protein Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Salted Caramel Coconut Cashew Energy Bites
Honey Cinnamon Almond Butter Energy Bites
Salted Date Brownie Energy Bites
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Energy Bites with Chia + Cacao Nibs
Salted Dark Chocolate Pistachio Quinoa Crunch Bars
Vegan No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
No Bake Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Sea Salt Cashew Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Homemade Chunky Healthy Granola Recipe (vegan & gluten free!)
5-Ingredient Chia & Peanut Butter Granola
Healthy Superfood Coconut Oil Granola with Chia & Flax
Immune Boosting Wellness Smoothie
Ridiculously Good Wild Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
Salted Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Shake
Get Your Greens in Smoothie (the best green smoothie!)
Nutritious muffins & oatmeal cups
Fluffy Flourless Peanut Butter Chickpea Muffins
The Best Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (gluten free!)
Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups
Blender Double Chocolate Spinach Muffins
Flax Almond Meal Banana Muffins with Dark Chocolate (gluten free, paleo!)
Baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cups
Almond Butter Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups
Vegan Paleo Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Grandma’s Healthy Bran Muffins
Power Flax Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Nourishing Almond Flour Banana Bread
Healthy Honey Flax Tahini Banana Bread
Good Morning Almond Flour Blueberry Muffin Bread
Cookies & treats
The Best Lactation Cookies (for nursing mamas!)
Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan & gluten free!)
Nutrition-Rich Omega 3 Blueberry Breakfast Cookies (gluten free + vegan!)
My fav packaged snacks for breastfeeding
Majka Chocolate Lactation Bites: I’m always snacking on these lactation bites and they’ve been great for boosting my milk supply! Follow the link or use the code ‘ambitious’ for 10% off.
Boobie Brands Lactation Bars: my latest obsession! These hearty bars are packed with nutrients perfect for boosting milk supply.
Nut & Seed Trail Mix: all of the delicious, healthy fats from almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
Nature’s Bakery Fig Bars: love the blueberry flavor! These are packed with lots of whole grains.
GoMacro Bars: all of their flavors are amazing but I especially love the oatmeal chocolate chip.
Wild Friends Nut Butter Packets: amazing on bagels, fruits and on the go to get a boost of healthy fats. Use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off!
Lesser Evil Mini Popcorn Bags: just a fun, delicious snack I like to have on hand!
The New Primal Meat Sticks: getting enough protein is super important while breastfeeding, and these meat sticks are perfect with 8g of protein.
Solely Fruit Jerky: absolutely love having these fruit jerky strips on hand for a little sweet snack.
GoHydrate Hydration Packets: staying hydrated is essential while breastfeeding! Mamas lose tons of water while feeding our little ones, which is why I’m always stocked up on these GoHydrate packets. Plus, the flavors are amazing (omg CHERRY LIME). Use the code ‘AMBITIOUS’ for 15% off any order!
Some of my go-to breastfeeding products
- Nursing Bra: Bakers best friend. Holds the pump in place without having to use my hands. And yes, I bake all the time with them on. For both nursing + pumping.
- Nursing tank: I recently got these nursing tanks and really love them. So simple to use and have a built in bra. Heck yes. Great for throwing a cardigan over!
- Haaka: This is primarily what I’ve been using to catch my milk. Every time I nurse I put it on the other side and it is a game changer. Every day I’m able to catch anywhere from 4-6 oz of milk without PUMPING! Yahoo!
- My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow: I’m obsessed with this thing. I honestly do not know what I’d do without it!!
Head over to the Ambitious Kitchen shop to see everything including my pregnancy go-to’s, postpartum must-haves, and favorite items for baby.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out our baby registry, pregnancy books I’m reading and other Ambitious Mama posts.
What are your go-to snacks while breastfeeding? Let me know in the comments!
They look absolutely yummy but i do just want to point out that science has debunked the myth of foods that can boost your milk supply. If you fancy one, great, but please don’t fall into the trap of believing you’ll have more milk if you eat them. If in doubt always ask a board certified lactation consultant.