Postpartum Recovery Essentials
The ultimate list of postpartum recovery essentials for new moms who have just given birth. I’m sharing everything from nursing pads and perineal balm to nourishing snacks and supplements that help make postpartum recovery and healing just a little bit easier and more comfortable for new moms.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
While this time around my labor and birth experience was much different with Viggo than it was with Sidney, I’m finding that all of the postpartum recovery essentials are just as essential for helping me heal.
With Sidney’s birth, I felt as though going into the postpartum period after birth was shocking. No one mentioned there would be excessive bleeding, vaginal tearing so bad you can’t even pee, stinging, sweats, chills, leaking boobs, crying — and yes, even those glorious hemorrhoids. Oh my.
Last year, Frida Mom shared a beautiful ad that was rejected from airing during the Oscars. It depicts a tired new mom recovering from birth with a baby crying in the middle of the night. She waddles over to the bathroom, with mesh underwear and giant pads stuck in. You can sense her pain when she pees and squirts a bottle of water onto her vaginal area to soothe the burn.
The commercial is really all too real and gives a sense of what life is really like for most mothers the first week or two postpartum. Not only are you caring for yourself, but also figuring out life with a brand new baby who needs you more than anything. Top it all off with exhaustion and changing hormones–it’s a lot for anyone to handle.
Because I had a general lack of awareness of what to truly expect postpartum, I figured that there must be other women out there who feel the same way.
Once you give birth, you’re so busy taking care of your new little ones, that you tend to forget to process the experience and share what life is truly like as a new mom. It isn’t glamorous and maternity leave certainly isn’t a walk in the park. The more we share, the more we can help future mamas prepare and not feel so alone in the after-birth process. You’ve got this, mamas!
Below you’ll find a list of my postpartum recovery essentials, plus a few other things that I felt were truly necessary during the first few weeks of motherhood. I hope you find this list helpful!
- Pure Aloe Vera Gel: this is for making Padsicles. You can find out how to do this on my postpartum Instagram highlights.
- GoHydrate: staying hydrated is so important postpartum, especially while breastfeeding. Absolutely love these packets! I drink one right away in the morning when I wake up. Use the code ‘AMBITIOUS’ for 15% off.
- Binto Postpartum Vitamins: use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ for 20% off your first month!
- Lavender essential oil: a drop of lavender essential oil in your padsicle is amazing for healing.
- Garden of Life Magnesium drink: postpartum hydration recovery is essential and I found this really helped me.
- Epsom salts: for sitz baths! Which trust me, you’re going to want to take almost every day.
- Perineal balm: I loved this!
- Nursing & pumping bra: these were some of my favorites and super cheap. I also like Kindred Bravely.
- Nursing pads: this is to prevent chafing and leakage.
- Postpartum pads: if you prefer pads, that works too! Absolutely LOVE this company.
- Comfy underwear: you likely won’t fit into your old underwear, so I highly suggest some high waisted ones to help hold it all in (including pads!).
- Nipple butter: I use this ALL the freaking time and love it. Best nipple butter!
- Witch hazel: amazing for making those padsicles I was telling you about!
- Dermoplast pain and itch spray: this will help with the burning and stinging from tears.
- Witch hazel pads: put these on top of your pad, or just use for your hemorrhoids. FUN lol.
- Majka Lactation Bites: love these as nourishing snacks & to help books milk supply! Use the code ‘ambitious’ for 10% off your first order!
- Perineal spray: this was super soothing and smells amazing.
- Maternity tops: perfect for nursing!
- Peri bottle: without a doubt, you will need this!!
- Diapers: I found diapers to be much easier than wearing pads, plus again, you can make padsicles.
- Nursing tanks: my go-to nursing friendly tanks that are super comfy and functional.
More Ambitious Mama posts
- Viggo James’ Birth Story
- Our Favorite Newborn Essentials
- What’s In My Hospital Bag (+ free printable checklist!)
- The Third Trimester with Baby 2
- My Pregnancy Skincare Routine
Read all of the Ambitious Mama posts here!
If you have any other postpartum recovery essentials, I’d love to hear them in the comments below! xo.
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.