What are you doing this weekend?
I purchased an Ostrich egg from Whole Foods. What?! I know. The egg is bigger than my head, cost $30 dollars, and could quite possibly feed a family the size of the Duggars. Soo… are you hungry?
Welcome to the world of Monique where I impulse grocery shop and talk about things that are just weird. Apparently I was utterly fascinated with this egg. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it now. Perhaps an Easter egg hunt? I would totally be excited to find an egg the size of my head.
Real talk: if you are having breakfast this weekend, you probably shouldn’t make an ostrich egg scramble. Don’t make a recipe you found on the back of a box either! They really never turn out that great.
I’m a firm believer that banana bread is always worth the extra lunges. But I feel a lot better eating it when I know it isn’t going straight to my thighs. This banana bread is quite healthy and extra moist from the coconut. Alright… I admit I added white chocolate chips to this recipe, but what else was I supposed to do? White chocolate and macadamia nuts make everything unforgettable. The toasted coconut on top… OMG.so.damn.good.
Inhale the bread and you’ll figure it out.
Now before I forget, I’d like to announce the winner of the iTunes giftcard from this post. Congrats Jess, I’ll be emailing you shortly! I was so happy to read about your favorite things. Turns out most of you prefer thin mints, honey graham crackers, and you’re crushing on the new Gotye song.
I think it’s time for a new favorite, don’t you?
White Chocolate, Macadamia Nut, & Coconut Banana Bread
- Dry ingredients
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Wet ingredients
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (if desired)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup fat-free plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons skim milk or milk alternative (almond, soy, coconut)
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda together in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate large bowl combine mashed bananas, melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla.
Add in egg whites, yogurt, and orange juice; mixing together until just combined and moist.
- Add in flour and combine until moist. Depending on the consistency you can add 2 tablespoons of skim milk. (I usually do). If you like your bread more dense than omit the milk, but if you like it more airy or lighter you can add it.
- Gently fold in ½ cup of coconut, white chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts into batter. Pour into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
Sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and the bread is golden brown.
Substitute ½ cup of regular flour with whole wheat flour