I thought it would be fun to start off the week with 10 random things. Ready?
1. You should rent the movie The Lucky One. I watched it this past weekend and decided that the plot was weird but that Zac Efron is probably one of the most good looking human beings on the planet and totally worth staring at for 1.5 hours. Do it.
2. WHAT THE FREAKING DELICIOUS… Hasselback sweet potatoes with oatmeal cookie crumble? I need to eat these every day for breakfast. Or dessert. I haven’t decided yet; all I know is that it was love at first sight.
3. Trader Joe’s makes Nonfat Pumpkin Greek Yogurt. It’s like a drug, so plan accordingly. Swirl that in your oatmeal in the morning, dip a pita chip in it, or put it in a smoothie. Addictive. Like really freaking addictive.
5. Apparently Monica Lewinsky is writing a book. I really think it’ll be up for a Pulitzer Prize, don’t you?
6. Lemon poppyseed pancakes. Put that on your brunch list asap. With blueberry syrup of course.
7. Here’s a 100 calorie guide to your favorite Halloween candy. A bit depressing yet also very helpful as I think one year I ate like 10 mini Reese’s because they were… well, mini?
8. Check out A Cup of Jo; it’s a women’s lifestyle blog that I’ve fallen in love with. (Hint: you might see a recipe of mine over there if you dig around!)
9. Stay weird.
10. October is National Chili month. Let’s celebrate by eating this chili! It’s vegetarian, hearty, and amazing with a smoked chipotle greek yogurt sauce. Extra points if you serve it with cornbread.
I ate this chili all weekend. At first it’s slightly sweet, but has a tiny bit of kick from the chipotle tabasco sauce (a must have condiment in my opinion). It’s also full of a medley of spices including tumeric, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Ugh it was everything I wanted: sweet, savory, and perfect for a chilly fall day.
I swear you’ll fall in love with it. And it’s hearty enough to last you a couple of days. Or if you prefer, you can freeze half of it and take it out later during the winter when you need a big bowl of comfort.
I can’t forget to tell you about the magical smoked chipotle greek yogurt topping. My roommate and I made it last week as a dipping sauce for sweet potato fries, but it was so good I started putting it on everything. I couldn’t resist making it again for that cooling yet spicy topping. It’s made with plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), tabasco chipotle sauce (also used in the chili!), honey, and a tiny bit of dijon mustard. I am so in love with it!
Another great part about this dish? It’s versatile!
I ate it for breakfast one morning with a fried egg on top of it. It’s perfect served under grilled chicken or fish and is a great way to use up in season fall veggies while also get your whole grains in. It can also be made vegan if you leave out the greek yogurt topping.
Either way, let’s just get into fall and enjoy a bowl of comfort.