Amazing Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Breakfast Bars – they taste like banana bread! No flour, butter, eggs, or dairy in this healthy recipe!
How was your weekend? Hope it was sweet! I’m in the middle of a juice cleanse and it’s been completely amazing! I can’t wait to tell you guys all about it.
This past weekend I spent a lot of time in the kitchen developing recipes because I know I’ll be in Australia for the next few weeks and wanted to catch up on blogging. It’s amazing how much time I can spend myself when I’m cooking and baking; my heart feels content.
But damn, can we just talk about these bars?
Breakfast is looking sweet with that pretty chocolate drizzle. Am I right or what?
Of course they are a healthy version of sweet because you know I’m always looking out for your dietary needs and waistline.
Just kidding. I’m really only making recipes up that seem interesting; things that I like to eat, bake, and create! I’ve realized that my body loves natural foods — and these bars are exactly that. No flour, eggs, dairy, or butter!
These breakfast (or snack) bars are made with:
Gluten Free Oats (you get to make oat flour and it’s soooo easy)!
Honey (or agave/maple syrup!).
Tiny tiny bit of unsweetened applesauce (no extra cals from oil).
Chocolate chips for a little bit of sweetness.
I adapted this recipe from my pumpkin chocolate chip oat bars except these taste like banana bread with awesome oatmeal texture. If you’ve ever put bananas in your morning oats, you know what I’m talking about.
You are going to love these bars – they’re great for when you’re on the go and can be frozen so that you can just heat them up for a quick bite! I’m sure kids would love these in their lunchbox or as an after school snack, too.
For me, they’re a great 3pm snack or a way to satisfy my sweet tooth in the evenings. 1 bar only has around 116 calories!
Have a great week! xoxo
- Serves: 16
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8g
- Sugar: 10.8g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 1.7g
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free oats
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (gluten free, if desired)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey (agave nectar if vegan)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
- For chocolate drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make oat flour: Place oats into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple of times to ensure that all oats have been blended. Transfer oat flour medium bowl; whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey into blender; blend 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add to oat flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly with rubber spatula. Bake for 15 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool 10-15 minutes on wire rack.
- Prepare drizzle by adding 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir well to combine then drizzle over the top of bars. Cut bars into 16 squares and enjoy!
Make sure you read all ingredients and nutrition info to ensure recipe is gluten free/vegan, if that is what you desire.
Fold in 1/4 cup coconut flakes or extra chocolate chips for an even sweeter treat!
Extra ripe bananas are best for this recipe.