Hope your weekend was lovely! I spent mine in Chicago with my good friend Meagan; it was her 26th birthday and I couldn’t think of a better way to help her ring it in then with a girl’s weekend. By the way, thank you for all of the wonderful restaurant and bakery recommendations – you guys are the best!
I might have had little too much fun in Chicago. Basically I’m in need of a MAJOR detox. I chowed down on churros, a bottle of wine, and probably an entire platter of chips and guac. HELP.
We even hit up a yoga sculpt class in Streeterville. I think it was one of the best workouts I’ve ever had. Which totally gave me permission to eat more food, right? Wrong. Churros = no bueno for the thighs.
There was one thing I was really happy about though, and it’s that this lasagna was sitting in my freezer when I got home. I made it last weekend and froze half so that I could enjoy it later. Thank goodness because now I have something healthy for dinner this week.
If you’ve never experienced zucchini lasagna, you’re in for a delicious surprise! The zucchini replaces the noodles and is topped with layers of an incredible turkey meat sauce and lots of ricotta and mozzarella. Next time I’d probably add mushrooms, pepperoni slices, or perhaps more roasted veggies. Either way, it’s love!
Cheesy, protein-packed, low carb and you get your veggies in. What more is there to say?! You must try this lovely dinner!
Sorry my photos aren’t the best. I was in a hurry to get to a workout class and didn’t have time to wait for the sun to cooperate.
If you make this meal, tag your photos #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram or post a photo to my Facebook page. Enjoy! xo
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 308
- Fat: 12.6g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1g
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 37.3g
- 4 large zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 - 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 - 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- handful of basil, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- handful of parsley, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- red pepper flakes, if desired
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 oz part skim ricotta
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz reduced fat or part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit. This is a critical step.
- While the zucchini noodles are roasting, you can make the turkey meat sauce. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook a few minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant; stir occasionally so that you don't burn it. Add in ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, and a few dashes of red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce REALLY thickens up! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, ricotta, and Parmesan. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add in 1/2 cup of the slightly cooled meat sauce and stir to combine.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the turkey meat sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place zucchini slices evenly over meat sauce, spread on 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella on. Repeat layers again starting with the meat sauce, zucchini slices and ricotta mixture and finishing with mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 15 minute longer uncovered. Serve with a side salad. Makes 8 generous servings.
This meal makes great leftovers and is freezer-friendly!