Things I’ve done lately:
1. Tried going vegan for 3 days. Didn’t work because I love eggs for breakfast.
2. Tried going paleo for a day. But then I ate a pita and some hummus.
3. Chugged almond milk from the carton and scarfed down one of these muffins slathered in almond butter right before bed. I think I can probably stick with this one.
So I mean I’m not really trying to do a different diet daily, I swear. I actually recieved some vegan meals to try out for three days; they were delicious and filling but I know going vegan just isn’t for me. Like I said, I love eggs wayyy too much.
Next I considered doing a somewhat paleo diet because I’m seeing a holistic doctor and she suggested it. That’s great and all, but I’m not about to give up greek yogurt or oatmeal. Or FRO YO! Those are basically my baking and dessert staples. Plus who doesn’t love a buttery chocolate chip cookie every now and then? I say, do what’s best for you body, mind and soul.
I will always be convicted to a balanced approach to clean eating that’s creative and allows flexibility. My favorite part about having this blog is being able to experiment with different flavors and ingredients (paleo/gluten free/dairy free/vegan/clean eating). And since a lot of you fell in love with my coconut flour banana bread, I decided to whip out my coconut flour again and develop some more goodness.
I was honestly quite surprised when I first took a bite out of these coconut flour muffins; they were spectacular and didn’t taste one bit like coconut. If you’ve baked with coconut flour before then you know it’s pretty difficult to do because of the absorbency and flavor. GAME CHANGER! These are fluffy, moist and packed with wholesome ingredients that won’t weigh you down.
I used Almond Breeze Almondmilk Unsweetened Vanilla in this recipe, but know that any of their flavored almond milks will work. I’m also a huge fan of Almond Breeze Almondmilk Chocolate and the Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Original.
If you make this recipe or anything else from AK, tag me on Instagram #ambitiouskitchen so I can see your wonderful creations!
To keep up to date with posts and behind the scenes info, follow AK:
- Serves: 12 muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 10.1g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3g
- Sugar: 11g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 4g
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, preferably at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I used Trader Joe's)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and generously spray the inside of each liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add almond butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed until well combined. Slowly add in eggs, one at a time; beat again for one minute until batter is smooth and creamy. Pour in almond milk and mix on low speed until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together coconut flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix on low speed until batter is smooth and creamy. Fold in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Use a large cookie scoop to disperse batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs attached. Cool for 5 minutes then immediately transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
If you aren't paleo, feel free to use peanut butter. You can use any nut butter of your choice, just make sure that it is all natural (no oil or sugar added).
Instead of coconut sugar, you can use maple syrup. If you do use maple syrup, I would suggest adding a tablespoon or two or of extra coconut flour.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk; I love baking with their almond milks. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands I work with!