OH BABY. I made you a grilled cheese because HELLO… it’s grilled cheese month!
If you haven’t noticed, I really don’t pay attention to food holidays that much. Or holidays in general. I just kind of make what comes to mind (and seasonal!) then hope it fits into your dinner or dessert plan. But grilled cheese? Come on you know I can be on top of my game with that shit.
Here’s how it goes: I’m strolling through Trader J’s with my fancy small red cart, headphones in my ears and sampling some delicious dip of the day. Plus coffee! Oooo do they have some good coffee or what? Anyway out of the corner of my eye I spot strawberries on sale. Two pounds for under $5? Yes!
Then I glance over and notice perfectly perfect avocados. Those go into my basket and into my belly (must wait until I get home because obviously need a knife to cut those things open). I also found this delicious crusty seedy sourdough bread and that gets tossed in the basket like I’m Michael Jordan.
Or not. I actually just put in my basket quite nicely. Let’s be honest I have no real sport skills besides tennis and in Tony’s opinion that’s still questionable.
Whatever let’s just make grilled cheese, ok?
I hadn’t had grilled cheese in forever before I made this one. It’s usually not my go to sandwich but I had this outrageous avocado strawberry combo in my head and knew it needed to be tested out. I mean obviously.
This recipe is also terrific because it’s lactose free! I actually used GO Veggie! Lactose and Soy Free Mozzarella Slices as an alternative. Have you tried them? They’re lower in fat (only 3g) and have zero cholesterol. Just a nice alternative if you are looking for one! Oh and yes, they do actually melt YIPPIE!
Next up… roasted strawberries! Please make these every day for the rest of your life starting NOW. They truly are nature’s candy. I like to roast them in a little coconut oil but it’s not necessary in this recipe, you’ll just use a tablespoon of coconut oil to sweeten them up a bit. The best part though? When the fruit combines with creamy, ripe avocado. ER MUHHHH GOODNESS then you’ve got something really good going. Plus CHEESE?!
Grilled cheese game on point. I hope you love this one as much as I do! If you make this recipe or anything else from AK, tag me on Instagram #ambitiouskitchen so I can see your wonderful creations!
To keep up to date with posts and behind the scenes info, follow AK:
- Serves: 2 sandwiches
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 507
- Fat: 21.8g
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Sugar: 15g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 13.1g
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 4 cups strawberries)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 slices thick multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large ripe avocado, sliced
- 2-4 slices GO Veggie! Lactose Free Mozzarella Slices, depending on how cheesy you like things
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with coconut sugar so that they are fully coated. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and arrange so that they aren’t crowded. Bake for 20 minutes or until berries are juicy.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brush or drizzle half of olive oil over two slices of bread and place oiled side down in a skillet. Lay mozzarella on top then add avocado and roasted strawberries. Drizzle two slices of bread with olive oil and place oiled side up on the sandwich. Cover with a lid and cook about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown on bottom. Carefully flip the sandwich, reduce heat to medium and cook a few more minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Enjoy immediately! Makes 2 sandwiches.
To make gluten free: Use a gluten free bread. It's easy to find these at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by GO Veggie! but all recipes, text and opinions are my own. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands I work with!