Gorgeous chocolate peppermint cookies dipped in dark chocolate, sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies, and drizzled with white chocolate. Truly a “death by chocolate” cookie. Perfect for holiday baking and cookie exchanges!
It’s the most deliciously sweet week of the season: #AKCookieWeek! Welcome, I’m so happy you’re here.
This is officially the third year of our famous AK cookie week and I’m so beyond thrilled that we’re finally here again because I’ve been testing cookies non-stop for the past month (and it has to stop sometime, right?!). I’ve perfected them over and over again, and can’t wait for you to try your favorites during this year’s holiday parties, christmas celebrations, bake-offs and everything else.
I have plenty of paleo, gluten free and dairy free cookies on my site already so I wanted to make some blow your mind cookies this year. So let’s start with these double chocolate peppermint cookies or as I like to call them: Death by Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
They’re loaded with chocolate chips and infused with peppermint extract, baked and then dipped in dark chocolate, then drizzled with white chocolate and coated with crunchy crushed peppermint candies.
If you’re a chocolate and peppermint fan, then I know you’re going to adore these fantastic cookies. They’re perfect for your next holiday party and stay fresh and delicious for days!
Don’t forget about our giveaway for cookie week either! More details below. I can’t wait to see what you make. xo!
Cookie Week Giveaway:
We’re giving away one $250 Amazon gift card to supply all of your baking needs this season! To enter:
2. Use the hashtags #AKCookieWeek and #AmbitiousKitchen (note: make sure your account is public so that we can see your creations!)
3. The more times you enter, the better chance you have at winning! Winner will be announced on Monday, 12/10 and notified via DM. USA only, 18 years and older.
More cookie recipes you’ll love:
Want a BONUS cookie recipe?
We’re sending out an exclusive, email-only cookie recipe on Saturday, 12/8. Make to sure to sign up for AK emails here so that you get it straight to your inbox!
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional if you want mocha peppermint cookies: 2 teaspoons espresso powder or 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Mix ins:
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips (can also use semi-sweet)
- For the coating:
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips + 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies (or a few crushed candy canes will also work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Also stir in espresso powder (or instant coffee) if you want to make these peppermint mocha cookies.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in vanilla extract, peppermint extract, egg and egg yolk; beat again until well combined smooth and creamy; about 30 seconds longer. Add in dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined and the dough forms. Fold in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to grab about 2 tablespoonful of dough, then roll dough balls and place on cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches apart from one another. Flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begins to set and crackle. Remove and allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once cookies have completely cooled, they are ready for dipping! Place chocolate chips in a small pot and place over low heat, stirring until chocolate is melted and smooth. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave by placing the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted. Once ready, dip cookies halfway in chocolate then place them back on cooling rack or onto wax paper or parchment paper to avoid a mess. Sprinkle chocolate with crushed peppermint candies.
- Next melt the white chocolate and coconut oil the same way you did the chocolate in the previous step. Use a small spoon to drizzle the white chocolate all over the cookies diagonally. It doesn’t have to be perfect and should be festive and fun!
- Place cookies back on cooling rack or wax paper and allow the chocolate to harden completely. Makes 22-24 cookies.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen Photography by: Yoga of Cooking
PIN THESE COOKIES: