Ultra chewy oatmeal cookies with layers of coconut and chocolate chunks. Made with coconut oil instead of butter! The best chocolate chip oatmeal cookies you’ll ever have!
There are so many things I want to accomplish. Too many things I want to bake. Too much joy I wish to create.
But right now? All I’m thinking about is Fall. The sweet cinnamon smell that seems to be everywhere, the gorgeous colors of the changing leaves, and pumpkin pie in my belly. Summer was sweet, but I’m ready to bake until I can’t anymore. So let’s start right now.
Cooooooooooooookiessssss. I feel like I really owe you them; it’s been far too long.
Cookies are a big deal to me. They’re here to bring you joy.
And these particular ones? OMG OMG OMG.
Just imagine puddles of rich chocolate in ultra chewy oatmeal cookies with layers of coconut.
They’re a dream.
The shredded coconut in these cookies make the exceptionally chewy, and coconut oil also adds additional coconut flavor that really comes through. I apologize if you aren’t into coconut, but maybe these will change your mind.
My favorite part of these cookies are the puddles of chocolate from the chopped chocolate chunks. It really seeps into the cookie so that with each bite you get a layered flavor profile that’s truly unforgettable!
See what I’m talking about?
Man bait cookies. Obviously.
- 1 1/4 cup quick oats (or can use regular oats but they might be thicker/more chewy)
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted and cooled virgin coconut oil
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3.5 oz semi-sweet 70% chocolate, coarsely chopped (I use one Ghiradelli chocolate bar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer beat together melted coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla; beat again for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add in flour & oat mixture to the wet ingredients; mixing until well combined. Slowly add in coconut and chocolate chunks.
- Drop dough with cookie scoop or by large rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges just begin to turn a golden brown. Do not over bake; we don't want crispy cookies! Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Makes 2 dozen.
If you want them thicker, increase flour to 1 1/3 cups.