Healthy gingerbread loaf made with whole wheat flour and packed with heavenly spices. This will make your house smell amazing and is perfect for brunch.
This weekend was LOVELY and I hope yours was similar.
On Friday, we stayed in and watched the movie Moneyball. I hadn’t seen it before but fell in love with the storyline.
Saturday was a busy day for us as many of you already know that we’re leaving this coming weekend for our honeymoon! I’ll be gone for 3 WEEKS in Australia & Hawaii so Tony and I spent A LOT of time doing research, booking hotels, and trying to figure out how we were going to make the most of our time there. Finally later Saturday evening we ventured out into the tundra for ice skating at the Park at Wrigley. If you haven’t been and live in Chicago, I highly recommend it (they have hot cocoa and food there too).
Yesterday we baked alllll the cookies for Tony’s work. Actually only two of my favorite recipes: brown butter chocolate chip and brown butter snickerdoodles. I realize that I’ve been baking a lot lately but it simply makes my heart happy.
Today I’m sharing a healthier, naturally sweetened version of a gingerbread loaf. It’s spicy, sweet and PERFECT for the holiday season.
Watch the how-to video here:
Since I know many of you will request this recipe to be gluten free, I’ve included an option for that located in the notes section of the recipe below!
Whether you make it gluten free or note, please know that the recipe is absolutely delicious either way.
I love glazing it with white chocolate, pistachios & cranberries for a festive holiday look but you can leave it off if you’d like or make it your own. Personally I think an orange cream cheese frosting or glaze would be to die for!
I hope you love this healthier gingerbread loaf. If you make it be sure to let me know by leaving a comment below and rating the recipe. You can also upload a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen! xoxo!
- Serves: 10 slices
- Serving size: 1 slice (based on 10)
- Calories: 194.9g
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.0g
- Sugar: 8.0g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 2.8g
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to warm
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk will work)
- Optional: Coarse sugar or sparkling sugar, for sprinkling on top
- For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses, egg, vanilla and almond milk. Whisk together until smooth and well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle with a little coarse sugar (this will create a beautiful loaf and a delicious crunch on the outside). Bake loaf for 35-45 minutesor until tester comes out clean. in pan 10-15 minutes before removing and to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make topping: Add white chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips) and coconut oil to a small bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is smooth and melted. You can also melt it in a small saucepan over very low heat. Drizzle over the cooled loaf and top with dried cranberries and pistachios. Cut into 10 slices.
To make vegan: I think using a flax egg (1 flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water) would work well!
PIN THIS GINGERBREAD LOAF: