This easy homemade tzatziki recipe is a healthy Greek inspired sauce also known as yogurt cucumber sauce. Made with creamy greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, garlic, shredded cucumber and fresh dill. Perfect for serving on greek kabobs, gyros, greek salads or with pita chips or carrot sticks for dipping!
Have you ever had tzatziki sauce before? It’s one of those lip-smacking good sauces that’s served with crispy pita chips for dipping, on top of gyros or on the side of souvlaki at Greek and Mediterranean restaurants. This creamy yogurt cucumber sauce is refreshing, cool and delicious on just about anything you can find to dip it in.
Is tzatziki sauce healthy?
Yes! Tzatziki sauce is perfect healthy snack, especially thanks to protein-packed greek yogurt, shredded cucumber and anti-inflammatory garlic. It’s as simple as it sounds: yogurt cucumber sauce!
This creamy, light, flavorful, refreshing sauce is delicious with carrot sticks, cucumber slices, radishes, or even on top of roasted veggies or baked potatoes. Try packing it for your next snack… even kids love it!
Tips for making homemade tzatziki sauce
Homemade tzatziki sauce is likely easier to make than you think. The best part though? All you need is one bowl and 5 simple ingredients (not counting salt and pepper, of course!). For this tzatziki sauce recipe, I have a few tips for you:
- I recommend using a thick plain whole milk or 2% greek yogurt so that the cucumber doesn’t water down the yogurt too much.
- It doesn’t hurt to squeeze your cucumber of excess moisture before adding it to the bowl with the greek yogurt.
- Use fresh garlic in this recipe. You can either grate or finely mince the garlic. Either way, you will want to make sure that it’s very small so that you don’t get bites of garlic. Another option is to add the greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor to get it nice and smooth (do not process the dill or the shredded cucumber).
Use homemade tzatziki in these recipes
I highly recommend serving it at your next party with pita chips, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, radishes and anything else you can dream up. Enjoy! xo.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate it! And don’t forget to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so we can see your creations!
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe (about 3 tablespoons)
- Calories: 32
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.8g
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and shredded (about 3/4 cup shredded cucumber)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix together the Greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, garlic, cucumber and dill in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with pita chips, in a gyro, on a sandwich, in greek salads or with carrot sticks. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Pin this tzatziki sauce recipe: