My mom used to have a garden full of zucchini. Every other day she’d go out to water and check on her produce, only to find that a few more zucchini had grown and overpopulated her garden. At one point, it got so out of control that she had zucchini the size of her arm. Not a joke. We’d laugh about it and try to think of all the zucchini recipes we could make together, which is one of the reasons #AKZucchiniWeek was born!
We use to LOVE making various types of stuffed zucchini, so I thought why not put a healthy stuffed zucchini recipe on the blog that was full of summer flavor. These pesto chicken stuffed zucchini are absolutely bursting with fresh garden herbs, gorgeous summer tomatoes, tender chicken and CHEESE.
Ingredients in pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats
I love how many fresh ingredients these healthy pesto chicken zucchini boats has. If you have a garden with tomatoes and/or zucchini, get ready for a new amazing way to use them up! This recipe includes a homemade cilantro pesto but you can feel free to use basil, or sub 3/4 cup of any kind of pesto you’d like. Here’s everything you’ll need:
For the pesto:
- Cilantro: for a wonderful freshness in the homemade pesto.
- Cashews: feel free to use roasted or raw cashews to make the pesto.
- Jalapeño: the kick of heat in the pesto is amazing. Simply de-seed your jalapeño to keep it mild!
- Garlic: for an essential flavor boost.
- Lime: always have to add a bit of acidity to sauces. We’re using a squeeze of fresh lime juice in the homemade pesto recipe.
- Avocado or olive oil: I like to use avocado or olive oil to help the pesto come together and coat the chicken.
- Water: you’ll just need a bit to thin the pesto to your liking.
- Salt & pepper: to bring out all of the flavors.
For the zucchini boats:
- Zucchini: the star of these amazing boats! Be sure to look for zucchini that is similar in size.
- Cooked shredded chicken breast: feel free to cook your chicken however you want before shredding it, or even use a rotisserie chicken.
- Cherry tomatoes: for juicy bites to pair with the chicken, pesto and layers of cheese.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: nothing better than layers of cheese and pesto. Feel free to use your favorite dairy free cheese if you’d like.
- Optional: parmesan to sprinkle on top.
How to make homemade pesto
These easy pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats use one of my favorite homemade pesto recipes that you can make right at home (skip the bottled stuff!) It’s slightly spicy and uses fresh cilantro for a unique flavor you’ll absolutely love.
To make it you’ll simply add your cilantro, cashews, jalapeño, garlic cloves, lime juice, olive oil, water and salt and pepper to the bowl of your food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides and processing again, if necessary.
Tips for making zucchini boats
- Make sure to choose zucchini that are all smaller and similar in size so that they fit in your pan and cook in the same amount of time.
- Scoop out the insides of your zucchini with a spoon (as shown in the video below) and make sure to leave a 1/4 inch rim so that the filling stays inside the zucchini.
- Be sure not to scoop your zucchini halves too deep — otherwise the filling may fall out of the bottom once the zucchini boats have cooked.
Reuse the zucchini pulp
After scooping out your zucchini boats, you can save the zucchini pulp for smoothies! It’s nutritious and incredibly delicious. Here’s what I suggest: Add zucchini pulp to a freezer safe container. Add to smoothies when you want a little nutritional or fiber boost. No need to thaw!
How to store zucchini boats
Store these easy pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats in meal prep containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply place two zucchini boats on a plate and microwave them until they’re heated through.
Meal prep these chicken pesto zucchini boats
This pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boat recipe makes the perfect healthy leftovers and is perfect for meal prep.
- First, make and bake your pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats.
- Allow the zucchini boats to cool completely, then place two of them in a meal prep container.
- Once ready to eat, simply microwave your boats on high for 1-2 minutes until warm and cheese is melted.
See how to make the pesto chicken zucchini boats
I hope you love these easy, healthy pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats! If you make them be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked it. You can also share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. Enjoy, xo!
Pesto Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Savory pesto chicken stuffed zucchini boats with a homemade cashew jalapeño pesto and layers of mozzarella cheese. These easy, healthy pesto chicken zucchini boats are fun and easy to make and pack tons of delicious protein. The perfect dinner for using up fresh zucchini!
- For the pesto:
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw or roasted is fine)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons water, to thin pesto
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the zucchini boats:
- Olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise (look for zucchini that is similar in size)
- 3/4 pound (about 2 cups) cooked shredded chicken breast (can also be from a rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Optional: ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- To garnish:
- Extra cilantro and quartered cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with olive oil.
- Make the pesto: add all pesto ingredients to the bowl of a food processor: cilantro, cashews, jalapeño, garlic cloves, lime juice, olive oil, water and salt and pepper. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides and processing again, if necessary.
- Transfer pesto to a large bowl and stir in the shredded chicken, chopped cherry tomatoes and ½ cup mozzarella cheese (we’re reserving the rest of the cheese for topping).
- Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. Place zucchini in the greased pan; they should snuggle pretty tightly in there, but if you can’t fit them all in, you can use two pans. Brush zucchini with a little olive oil (about 1 tablespoon or so). You can also simply spray them with an all natural oil-only cooking spray.
- Spoon pesto chicken mixture evenly into zucchini boats. Top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender. Once done, sprinkle the tops with cilantro and extra cherry tomatoes before serving. Serves 4; 2 boats per person.
If you prefer, you can use 3/4 cup store-bought pesto or your favorite pesto recipe. This one is cilantro based, but basil would also be fabulous.
To make vegetarian: sub chickpeas, cooked quinoa or even tofu for the chicken.