Outrageously delicious & healthy sweet potato BBQ turkey meatloaf stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese. Easy to make and bound to become a dinner staple!
This weekend was rejuvenating in the best way. I slept in on Saturday, sipped on my hot morning coffee with vanilla almond milk, enjoyed an RXBar, then left for an intense workout. Afterwards I came home with a mission to get organized and just spend some time alone. Can I just say how freakin’ good it felt?!
From September through December it seemed as though I could never catch my breath long enough to just enjoy anything. We worked hard on the Healthy Glow Co and pushed against several deadlines and holidays. In fact, I remember spending my birthday hoarded up in my house working on organizing the meal plans, checking emails on Christmas and overall spending too much time on my computer. Remind us to never launch a website and a product at the same time (or over the holidays). Ha!
This is primarily why you haven’t seen as many recipes just yet; I’ve been taking a short break to get my taxes together, interview candidates for the AK brand manager position and be sure to shut my computer once it hits 7pm.
In reality though I can’t complain much because the Healthy Glow Co community has been INCREDIBLE. And I genuinely mean that. And guess what? It’s not too late to join! You can get your FREE 2 day preview to help decide if purchasing the guide is right for you. If you like it, then you can purchase the guide and join us for 6 weeks of clean eating delicious recipes, balanced nutrition, fun 30 minute workouts and more!
The Facebook group is thriving with women who are posting pics of their meals, asking questions and sharing their sweaty selfies — join here!
Speaking of delicious recipes, this BBQ turkey meatloaf recipe just so happens to be in the Healthy Glow Guide meal plan. And I don’t know about you but I freaking love meatloaf. There’s something rather comforting about it and this recipe has quickly become a dinner staple in our household.
And don’t you worry, this recipe isn’t complicated and can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free bread crumbs or homemade ground gluten free oats.
Can you guys just trust me when I say you need this in your life?! Okay good, then put this on your menu for this week and enjoy. xo!
Pin this recipe:
If you make it, I’d love to see you upload it to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen. And don’t forget to pass along the Healthy Glow Guide to a lady in your life — I so appreciate your support. xo!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of meatloaf
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9g
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 26.9g
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, shredded (about 3/4 cup shredded sweet potato)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (94%)
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup italian style panko breadcrumbs (or use gluten free breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons low sugar bbq sauce (I like Stubb’s)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz sliced sharp cheddar cheese (or ½ cup shredded cheddar)
- For the topping:
- 1/3 cup low sugar bbq sauce
- Optional: Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in olive oil and sweet potato shreds; sauce for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine turkey, onion, sweet potato shreds, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons bbq sauce, spices, and salt and pepper. Use your hands or a large spoon to mix until well combined. I find that it's much easier to combine the ingredients if you use your hands.
- Place half of meat mixture on foil-lined pan and shape into a 10x4 inch rectangle. Top with cheddar evenly, leaving about an 1/2 inch of room on the sides. Top with the remaining meat mixture, enclosing the cheese completely and sealing the sides/edges together.
- Spread half of the bbq sauce on top of the meat loaf, reserve other half for brushing on when meatloaf is finished baking.
- Bake meatloaf for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Top with remaining sauce and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 slices. Top with cilantro and serve with sweet potato fries or a side salad.