Tofu, Cauliflower, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, garlic, turmeric, ginger and simmer in in this coconut curry dish made in partnership with Nasoya Tofu. Vegan and gluten free too!
Over the past year I’ve become OBSESSED with curry flavors. Don’t ask this Puerto Rican girl why, but I think it’s because there is a Thai neighborhood just up the block. The exotic spices are aromatic and wander in and out of the streets. In a way, the smells are inviting me to come in a try something I’ve never had before, which is often what Tony and I try to do when we go out.
Lately it’s been all about that curry life. I love slurping up a big bowl of coconut curry from our local vietnamese restaurant Tank Noodle, or trying a spicy version over rice; not only is it comforting, but I feel like there’s something really healing about a good curry.
Last week I’m sure some of you noticed via Instagram stories that I came down with an awful sore throat & cold that made me lose my voice completely. Besides pumping my body with probiotics, kombucha, tea, lemon, ginger and vitamins, I knew I needed a little something with all the good spices for dinner. Perhaps even something reminiscent of the neighborhood Thai and Indian restaurants from down the street. AKA CURRY LIFE.
Whenever I’m sick, I love eating vegetarian. I know people say you’re supposed to have chicken noodle soup, but there’s something magical about eating plant based for a few days and feeling nourished. So anyway, I decided to add tofu to my curry — Nasoya tofu to be exact, which I can somehow get Tony to eat. Told you it was magical.
The vegetables in this recipe are wonderful — there’s everything from cauliflower and sweet potatoes to red pepper and carrots. Everything is simmered in light coconut milk with a little tomato sauce and plenty of aromatic spices to make it rich and creamy and FLAVORFUL.
For the tofu, we used firm Nasoya tofu to make sure it kept together, but I also think extra firm would hold up very well.
P.S. Did you know that all Nasoya tofu is USDA certified organic & non-GMO project verified too?! Pretty cool
This curry is gonna make your house smell like a dream come true. You’re welcome.
Pin this recipe:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 342
- Fat: 20.4g
- Saturated fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 14.1g
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced into 1 inch cubes
- ½ head of cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 2-3 cups)
- 1 bell yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly diced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup vegetarian broth
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, ground
- 1 package firm or extra firm Nasoya tofu, cubed
- To garnish: Cilantro and extra cashews
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in garlic, ginger, jalapeno, sweet potato, cauliflower, bell pepper, and carrots. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until carrots start to soften.
- Next stir in curry powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Add in coconut milk, tomato sauce, vegetarian broth and ground cashews. Stir until smooth. Gently add in tofu and stir. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Serve immediately with cilantro.
This post is in partnership with Nasoya Tofu. All recipes, text and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible!