Monday’s here! Don’t cry… I made you waffles.
Man, I love waffles. They remind me of when I used to go to the diner with my Dad; I always ordered the giant, crispy Belgian waffle with strawberries. Mmmmmm.
I’ve been hoping that waffles make an epic comeback for years. Instead I’ve watched cookies-stuffed-in-cookies, cupcakes, mini pies, and baked donuts take over. So I need you to get on the waffle train with me. If you need convincing, these waffles should do the trick.
Face? Meet Almond Joy Waffles. Yes, a waffle that tastes like a candy bar!
They’re completely delicious.
These waffles are made with coconut oil (good fats), coconut flakes, banana (for a hint of sweetness), whole wheat flour (for health).
Oh and chocolate chips for pure deliciousness.
One more reason I can’t stop loving these waffles is because they’re deliciously crispy on the outside due to the ground roasted almonds in the batter.
But what about the flavor?
I tried to make these as healthy as I could without skimping out on flavor. Of course you could skip the chocolate chips but hey, you only live once.
And I highly recommend living deliciously (with a little bit of chocolate).
More healthy breakfast recipes to try:
Whole Wheat Coconut Banana Waffles with chocolate chips & roasted almonds
Coconut oil, coconut flakes, banana, roasted almonds, and chocolate chips make up these incredible banana waffles that seriously taste like an Almond Joy candy bar. They’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside – perfection!
- 2/3 cup unsalted raw almonds
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and spread out. Roast in oven for about 8 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet. Reduce oven temp to 300 degrees F.
- Add almonds to a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, egg white, almond milk, lemon juice, and coconut oil. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the mashed banana and coconut flakes.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking oil (I love Trader Joe's Coconut Oil spray). Pour about 1 cup of batter onto the iron spreading evenly, the amount of batter necessary will vary based on your waffle maker so use your best judgement here. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to oven safe plate or baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm while you make the rest of the waffles. Makes about 8 servings (2 waffles each).
You can also make pancakes with this batter!