I’m on a coconut kick. Coconut candles, coconut body wash, coconut milk conditioner, coconut oil EVERYTHING.
Want to know the secret to silky smooth skin? Pour 1/4 cup melted coconut oil in your bath with 1 cup of Epsom salts and soak for 20 minutes. Your skin will become silky smooth! I even have been using coconut oil to shave my legs because well, it’s THE BEST.
Another way I love to use coconut oil: Whisk together 2 tablespoons coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of honey plus 1 egg yolk. Slather it on your ends and wait 15 minutes, then wash as normal. Your hair will be noticibly smoother and shiny. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
What are some ways you use coconut oil? I’d love to hear them. I’m sure you already know that it’s absolutely fabulous for baking, and if you didn’t, well these bars will make you a believer.
I never feel guilty about treats made with coconut oil because they fill you up so you don’t feel like you need 2 or 3 to satisfy you. I made this video with Gold Medal Flour to show you how to make these wonderful bars!
Note: The video above shows the bars being made in a 9×13 inch pan, but the recipe I’m giving you today is for an 8 inch baking pan. To make them in a large pan, just double the recipe!
The chewy oat texture, coconut flakes and melty dark chocolate sweeten up the bars and the ingredient list is quite simple. You can bake these bars in less than 20 minutes so they make a great party treat. I created these based on my popular (and super addicting) coconut oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies and just tweaked the ingredient ratio slightly.
Hope you love them! xo
- Serves: 16 bars
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 171
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 16.5g
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Fiber: 2.3
- Protein: 2.5g
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar (70% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl beat coconut oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla together; add in dry ingredients and milk, mixing until just combined. Fold in coconut flakes and chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spreading evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack then cut into 16 squares. Enjoy!
Feel free to use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.