I love a good Sunday routine.
Usually I roll out of bed, throw on an outfit, and stop at Starbucks. This happens all before 9am. After I get my sweat on at the gym I head straight to the grocery store, where my cart crashes into at least 3 people. I smile and kindly apologize for being an aggressive cart driver. It’s Sunday after all and I’m feeling extra nice.
Really though, I’m on a mission to get home and put my Kitchen Aid mixer to work, do some laundry, and watch a trashy television show while I eat a giant bowl of pasta.
I am a big fan of spaghetti with tomato sauce, but I swear I end up eating the sauce more than the actual pasta. Therefore I decided to make an easy pasta recipe with lemon, olive oil, and asparagus. Can I just say wow?! Especially when you throw it together with fresh lemon juice and garlic.
This is made with whole wheat pasta, but feel free to use whatever you’d like. Throw some chicken in it and make it a complete meal.
Simple & healthy Sunday lemon pasta.
Secondly, where did you all come from? Over the past couple of weeks you’ve really visited lots! I love it. Anyway I wanted your advice too. I’m looking to buy a new camera strictly for food photography.
Otherwise, enjoy the pasta and relax a bit.
Whole Wheat Lemon Spaghetti with Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- Cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Steam asparagus until it still has a slight crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile in large pot, add 5-6 quarts of water, 1/2 tsp salt and bring to boil. Add in spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- While your pasta cooks, zest and juice your lemons. You should have about 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 1/3 cup of lemon juice.
- Drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the water. Immediately add in lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic powder, and cheese. Toss together so that all of the pasta is coated!
- Stir in asparagus and basil. Generously add salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve immediately, adding extra olive oil, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese if desired. Serves 6-8.