Just the other day I was dreaming about donuts again and then I realized that I’ve had these beauties in my drafts since last October. Yep, over 6 months ago.
Memory issues? Perhaps. Or maybe I just had too many other delicious things to post back then. I’ll really never know, I’m just sorry these didn’t come sooner because THEY ARE SO DAMN GOOD.
Here’s the lowdown. Since I had the recipe and photos waiting in the drafts, I had completely forgotten about how amazing they were and so (of course) had to make them again. There’s no stopping me when it comes to the big wide world of donuts. Or peanut butter, but that’s a different story.
Before we get into the details of these amazing sweet potato donuts, I need to mention that you’ll need a donut pan to make these. If you don’t have one, the real question is: what are you waiting for? They’re inexpensive and most baked donut recipes are done in roughly 15 minutes! Donuts truly make the most wonderful homemade brunch accompaniment with a pot of coffee and a giant pitcher of mimosa.
Don’t judge me.
Not many people serve donuts at brunches these days. Or maybe it’s just the people I know? #sideeye
These are the kind you dunk in a steaming hot cup of coffee or foamy almond milk cappuccino. They’re hearty, yet still have a light and tender interior which makes you forget about the fact that they’re baked instead of fried.
Some things to know about these sweet potato donuts
Whole wheat flour provides a wonderful source of whole grains so you really can’t feel too terrible about enjoying one (or two!).
They’re also dairy free! I actually just realized that most of my recipes are, so tell all your DF friends to come say hi.
They’re naturally sweetened.
They only take less than 30 minutes to make.
Okay, that’s enough talking. It’s time to go make donuts people. Get to it!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your lovely creations! xo!
More delicious brunch recipes to try:
Baked Sweet Potato Donuts with Dark Chocolate + Coconut
Homemade whole wheat baked sweet potato donuts covered in dark chocolate & coconut. They only take 20 minutes total to make!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potato (from 1 medium to large sweet potato)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled (olive oil also works well)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 oz 72% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sweet potato, maple syrup, egg, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Avoid overmixing here as it can make the donuts tough instead of light and fluffy. Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Turn the donuts onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once donuts are cooled, melt chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat; stir continuously until chocolate is melted. Once melted, transfer chocolate to a warm bowl and dip each donut in the chocolate, then transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining donuts. Immediately top each donut with a tablespoon of coconut flakes.
Instead of the dark chocolate, you can use 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Photography by: Sarah Fennel