Any plans for Valentine’s Day? I know mine is going to be absolutely KILLER because I’ll be at the Mariah Carey concert in Vegas. Talk about a true dream come true for this girl.
Seriously, I begged Tony for 6 months to get me those tickets and finally got them for Christmas. BEST GIFT EVER.
Another great gift for the valentine in your life? These beautiful cinnamon rolls with…
Wait for it…
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD.
+ AN EASY ORANGE ICING.
And they’re vegan too!
Absolutely certain you need these in your life now, right?
I created this recipe in partnership with my grocery-delivery friends over at Peapod. They asked me to create a recipe for their recipe site for Valentine’s Day. At first I thought about french toast, but come on… it’s just french toast. So then I started dreaming about things I could stuff in a cinnamon roll and found a jar of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter from a previous Peapod delivery.
As soon as I knew it, I was spreading chocolate on the dough and glazing them with sweet orange icing. Somehow all the flavors in this recipe just work. I would know, I tested them three times and made Tony eat each version. Hah.
Let’s chat quickly about a few things so you can make sure this recipe is a success!
Coconut milk: We’re using it from the can, not the carton.
Coconut sugar: If you don’t have this on hand, regular sugar will work just fine. Although I do recommend organic cane sugar if it is available to you.
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: This is basically a lighter version of whole wheat flour. It’s fine and resembles regular flour, except it still has all the nutrition of regular whole wheat flour. I mean, I guess I tried to make these a little better for you than Cinnabon. Ha!
Chocolate Hazelnut Butter: I use Justin’s or sometimes just make my own chocolate almond butter and use that! You could also be a complete badass and use nutella. It’s all up to what you’re feeling.
Let me know if you have other questions about this recipe!
If you make this recipe, leave a comment below or tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creations. xo!
More healthy brunch recipes to try:
Whole Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Pistachios + Orange Icing (vegan!)
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut butter*
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- For the Orange icing:
- 1/2 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- Place coconut milk and coconut oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. Heat until temperature reaches about 110 degrees F. Remove from heat and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer. Immediately stir in coconut sugar and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes to activate the yeast. You should see the milk get slightly foamy and form a paste.
- Next add in 1/2 of the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add in the rest of the flour and stir again until just combined.
- Place dough hook on your mixer and run on medium low speed for about 8 minutes. Alternatively you can knead the dough with your hands for 10 minutes.
- Once dough is kneaded, transfer to a large bowl coated generously in oil (any oil will work here). Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, then place in a warm place to rise for a little over an hour or until doubled in size.
- Once dough is doubled in size, place onto a large surface dusted with flour. Punch dough down and roll into a 15x9 inch rectangle.
- Spread chocolate hazelnut butter over the dough leaving a 1/2 inch border on the edges. Sprinkle cinnamon, pistachios and orange zest over the top.
- Beginning at the 15 inch side, roll up tightly and pinch edges together to seal. Using a serrated knife or floss, cut into 9 large rolls.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan with coconut oil or cooking spray. Place cinnamon roll slices in pan and cover again with a towel. (I like to place my cinnamon roll pan on the oven while it preheats to allow for faster rising!) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place covered pan on the stovetop; the heat from the oven will help the rolls to rise even more. Allow them to rise for 1 hour total.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until barely golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting by combining the powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a small bowl. Drizzle over the rolls and top with extra pistachios, if desired.
*For the chocolate hazelnut butter, I use Justin’s brand. You can make your own chocolate nut butter, or use another brand of chocolate nut butter! Just make sure that ingredients are all vegan (if that is what you desire).
I have not tested this recipe with anything else besides whole wheat pastry flour. If you want to make these with 100% whole wheat flour or white whole wheat, you may need to reduce the flour by 1/4 cup. The dough should be soft.
This post is in partnership with Peapod. All text and recipes are my own. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands that help make this site possible!