Lettuce wraps in December? What’s up with that?
They happen to be really incredible and despite my efforts to use Turkey Day leftovers, it didn’t happen. After my battle with the flu, I didn’t want anything heavy. I know your body needs a break from that comfort food too! Lettuce wraps with sassy sauce and delicious toppings might do the trick.
I made these lettuce wraps once before for some guys. There were not any leftovers. Why do guys love buffalo sauce so much? It’s a little mind boggling.
The recent warm weather had me wanting something light and healthy too. It was seventy degrees the other day! I’m in DC now but originally from Minnesota, so I’m used to wearing three layers and scraping my car off beginning in October. I’m not complaining about the warm weather but it sure is strange. Definitely doesn’t feel like the holiday season.
We can change that though. Getting in the holiday spirit will be easy. Let’s bake things with peppermint. We’ll sip hot cocoa even if it’s warm out! Christmas tree decoration is totally doable as long as the house smells like cinnamon and pumpkin, right?
These lettuce wraps will be the healthiest thing you’ll see for a while. I hope you are okay with that.
If you’re excited to see things made with butter, sugar, and chocolate; then we’re probably soulmates Pie, and cookies are in the near future. My kitchen will be busy. Bags of flour will go fast. Fresh, real whip cream will be piled high on everything. Chocolate cupcakes will be made with love and rich with frosting.
December might actually my favorite month. Thinking about everything makes me completely giddy! Lots of baking. Sweet glorious cookies. Holiday parties. Mistletoe kissing. Endless pumpkin pie. Santas in the mall. Shopping while sipping peppermint skinny mochas (topped with whip cream). Hot chocolate and ice skating! Winter coats. Crackers, cheese & red wine. Good movies. Christmas trees. Snowball fights. Gingerbread. Wish Lists.
My birthday is also this month. I told you December was special. I’ll be 23! I’ll have to bake something extra special for myself. Any suggestions?
Make these light and healthy lettuce wraps before holiday cookies take over your lunch hour at work.
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Avocado & Blue Cheese Sauce
Savory, healthy buffalo chicken lettuce wraps with a zippy avocado & blue cheese sauce. You'll love this easy, super flavorful recipe for protein-packed lunches and dinners!
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Frank's red hot Buffalo Sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 16 Bibb lettuce leaves, washed and separated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 avocado, diced into small chunks
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat, add garlic, cabbage, and carrots. Stir frequently until cabbage is cooked and wilted. Add black pepper and salt as desired; remove from heat and set aside.
In a separate large skillet, heat 1 tsp of olive oil on medium-high heat and add chicken. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add cabbage mixture to chicken. Turn heat to low; add Buffalo sauce and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes to let flavors sink in.
- Scoop chicken into the lettuce. Top each lettuce wrap with 1 teaspoon blue cheese, diced avocado, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
For added crunch add crushed tortilla chips on top! Serves 4.