Heyyyooooooo. Welcome to the first day of August (say what?!). I’m coming in HOT with not one but FOUR meal prep filling salad recipes made in adorable mason jars.
When I was dreaming up which meal prep recipe I’d bring you next, I knew it had to be something quick, easy, and portable for all of you on-the-go. I know you all lead incredibly busy lives – whether you’re in school, juggling one job or two, kids or a couple of pets, these recipes are the PERFECT weekday go-to.
Without further ado, meet my four mason jar salads: Southwest Chicken, Greek Chicken, Chicken Berry Quinoa, and Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa.
Each salad jar is packed with fresh veggies, flavorful combinations, and ample protein so that you’re satisfied and energized after lunch. To me, there’s nothing worse than a super heavy lunch that makes you feel sluggish, or the opposite, hitting that 2:00PM hanger mark with no healthy snacks in sight. That’s the beauty of these jars!
Southwest Chicken Salad
I kept the ingredients simple and seasonal with things you can find at your local farmer’s market or neighborhood grocery store. My protein of choice? Grilling up Just BARE Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts in one of these marinades.
Greek Chicken Salad
I’ve loved working with Just BARE Chicken on their Lean & Clean Campaign to help encourage others (and remind myself) how to make healthy choices each day. We’re faced with SO many choices when it comes to food selection, so having go-to brands and practices, like opting for organic wherever possible, helps keep things simple. Their chicken is USDA Organic certified and the chickens are raised on veggies and grains (just like these salads!) There are zero antibiotics or weird additives, and the chicken actually stays juicy after you grill or bake it.
Chicken Quinoa Berry Salad
The best part about salad jars? They’re totally customizable! If you have a favorite salad recipe – chances are it will be perfect for layering up into a jar. Just be sure to put the dressing at the bottom and the leafy veggies towards the top so that they don’t get soggy once you’ve prepped them. I like to make a few of these on Sunday and have them to grab-and-go right out of the fridge. They’re perfect for carrying in a larger purse on your way to work, or even popping in your backpack for an afternoon bike ride.
Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa Salad
And of course if you’re not sure where to start…that’s where these simple recipes come in handy! Each of these jars is packed with flavorful goodness for mixing all together. I added a variety of textures and colors to keep things interesting (because who likes a boring lunch??) – so you’ll find plenty of crunch, sweetness, savoriness, and everything in between.
Meet your new Monday – Thursday lunch date! Which one will you try first?
If you make any of these salad jars, be sure to leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it, or post a photo to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen!
Four Mason Jar Salads
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons southwest ranch, avocado ranch or chipotle ranch dressing
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup corn
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ jalapeno, sliced (or you can do pickled jalapenos)
- ¾ cup diced, grilled Just BARE chicken breasts
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 1 cup chopped romaine
- Greek Salad
- 2 tablespoons balsamic dressing
- 1 to mato, diced
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- ¾ cup diced Grilled Just BARE chicken breasts
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons feta
- 1 cup chopped romaine
- Chicken Quinoa Berry Salad
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinaigrette (or any berry vinaigrette)
- ¼ cup quartered strawberries
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¾ cup grilled Just BARE chicken breasts
- ¼ cup goat cheese crumbles
- ¼ avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- 1 cup arugula
- Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 2 tablespoons peanut dressing (1 tablespoon peanut butter + 1 teaspoon soy sauce + ½ teaspoon honey + 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger + ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar + 2 tablespoons water, to thin)
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, diced
- ¼ cup mango, diced
- ¾ cup grilled Just BARE chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup romaine
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- For each salad: Add all ingredients into a 16 oz Mason Jar (or equivalent). Keep in fridge until ready to enjoy! When ready to eat, simply pour ingredients into a bowl and serve.
Add ingredients into each jar in the order in which they're written (i.e. dressing first and greens last) in order to preserve freshness.
This post is in partnership with Just Bare Chicken. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible!