Lemon blueberry quinoa pancakes
On a scale of 1 to 10 on the adventure scale, I’d say I’m at about an 8.2. I think it’s going up too! There simply isn’t anything that I don’t want to do.
I’ve knocked some off of my to-do list already. Climbing mountains? Check. Surfing? Check. Swimming with Jellyfish? Check. Cleaning out my closet? Half-check. (Umm… yes that is an adventure!)
Frankly, I’m not the type of girl who would want anything fancy for Valentine’s day. Let’s just make breakfast and go on a good adventure. To where? I’m not sure, we’ll figure it out along the way.
My obsession with breakfast is pretty abnormal. To say I like it a lot would be an understatement.
I believe that every adventure needs to begin with a good breakfast. We need whole grains, protein, and something made with love. Okay and sometimes a little sugar and butter makes mornings brighter.
Don’t be skeptical, try it out! It’s bonkers awesome. In fact, some of my best adventures have started with great meals.
My best girlfriends and I had massive omeletes before our trip around Chicago. Happy & full.
Banana bread before seeing the Sydney Opera House. Beautiful.
Oatmeal & Starbucks before a walk around Boston. Just essential.
Making banana chocolate chip pancakes for dinner? No adventure needed!
Have you had quinoa before? It’s so amazing and versitile. It’s even a complete protein, so you know these will keep you satisfied all morning. These cakes are fluffy, full of blueberry delight, and are sure to get you ready for the day.
These also make really good Valentine’s day pancakes. Mostly because they’re easy to make and fall in love with.
I added lemon to these to give it a little zest, you certainly don’t have to. But If you’ve never had the blueberry lemon combination, you need to change that… preferrably now!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of milk of your choice (skim, soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, milk, and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and whisk again. Next gently fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter.
- Makes about 8 pancakes. Top with fruit preserves, peanut butter, or maple syrup.