Vegan and gluten free chopped Thai Kale Salad with edamame, mango and veggies. Tossed with a flavorful peanut ginger dressing. The perfect lunch or picnic salad.
Coming to you VERY excited today because our wedding playlist is finally coming together. I’ve been rocking out to amazing indie inspired playlists on Spotify and FINALLY found the song I’m going to walk down the aisle to.
And the song is…
PEACHES AND CREAM BY 112.
JOKES. Sorry to say I won’t be revealing, otherwise there’d be no real surprise element, but know I’ll reveal once we’ve officially tied the knot.
Anyway, onto this gorgeous Thai Kale Salad, which just so happens to be inspired by one of my favorite salads in the entire world. This version is made up of lush green kale, edamame, sweet seasonal mango, veggies like carrot, bell pepper and cabbage and cilantro! Literally #alltheveggies happening.
The key to keeping this salad incredibly tasty is to massage the kale. Yes that’s right I said you’re going to give your kale a good old sexy massage. I know… seems weird, but I assure you it’s what makes this salad AMAZING.
So, why massage the kale with the dressing?
It’s simple: Kale breaks down and becomes more tender and slightly sweeter when it’s massaged, even if it’s for only 5 minutes. It also helps distribute the dressing into every little crevice of the kale leaves, leaving amazing peanut flavor in every bite.
So I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I did. It’s great for lunch, and is naturally vegan and gluten free — if that’s your thing.
Pin this recipe!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram or leave a comment below letting me know how you liked it!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of salad
- Calories: 374
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9g
- Sugar: 17.1g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 14.7g
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, finely chopped (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 cup cooked shelled edamame
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onion, plus more for garnish
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil also works)
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce (gluten free, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 small lime, juiced
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons water to thin
- To garnish:
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Extra cilantro and green onion
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients: peanut butter, sesame oil, gluten free soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, lime juice and ginger. Mix to combine. Add water to thin if necessary to make a dressing like consistency.
- Pour dressing on kale, then massage kale with clean hands for 5 minutes in order to tenderize the kale and allow it to sweeten just a bit.
- Next add in the mango, edamame, shredded carrot, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro and green onion. Toss to combine. Serve immediately, topping each serving with a tablespoon of cashew halves and additional green onion.