If I had to pick the biggest trend of 2017, it would have to be matcha. Creamy, frothy green matchas and green matcha smoothie bowls took over my Instagram feed and I’m not mad about it.
If you’re not familiar with matcha, it’s simply powdered green tea that’s usually grown in Japan. While I’m not an avid matcha drinker, I still appreciate the benefits that green tea offers, including antioxidants and caffeine.
Recently I was introduced to Vital Proteins Collagen Matcha, which is really the best of both worlds when it comes to a protein powder: antioxidants + caffeine from matcha and protein + health benefits of collagen. It’s delicious stirred into warm almond or coconut milk and perfect to use in recipes that call for protein powder (like these protein bars!).
And now I’ve got a fun new way to use matcha that involves only three ingredients:
and coconut butter!
Let’s talk ingredients!
Coconut butter: If you don’t know what coconut butter is, I’ve got an awesome tutorial here. It’s just coconut flakes that have been processed into a creamy smooth ‘coconut butter’. The only thing is that sometimes it gets hard at room temperature. If that’s the case, simply scoop it out and microwave for 30 seconds until smooth again! You can also purchase coconut butter at Whole Foods or on Amazon.
Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen: You can buy the matcha collagen online on the Vital Protein website! It’s wonderful if you’re trying to get more protein in your life or want to try out a new version of matcha. SO GOOD.
Dark Chocolate: I love using a dairy free dark chocolate for my cups but you can use whatever you want. I used two 2.5 ounce Alter Eco chocolate bars for this version. So yummy.
These coconut butter cups are the absolute perfect treat to keep in your fridge when you need something a little sweet, but still nourishing. I love that they have a little boost of protein and bold green color from the Vital Proteins matcha collagen.
And why not try a mint version by adding a few drops of peppermint or mint extract to the coconut butter? YES YES YES.
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE COCONUT BUTTER CUPS HERE:
More no bake treats you’ll love:
Hope you love these little matcha coconut butter cups. If you try them out, tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram or leave a comment below and let me know how you liked them!
Collagen Matcha Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter Cups
- 2 (2.5 ounce) 85% dark chocolate bars, dairy free if desired
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted (or 1/4 cup melted coconut oil)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen
- Line a mini muffin pan with 12 mini liners. We’re only making half, but if you want you can double the recipe to make 24 mini cups.
- Now it’s time to melt the chocolate: Place only one bar of the chocolate in a bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is melted. You can also melt the chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat; stirring frequently.
- Once chocolate is melted, add a small amount to the bottom and sides of each cup (about 1 heaping teaspoon). Use the spoon to push/spread the chocolate slightly up the sides of each liner, but make sure you have an even chocolate base at the bottom of each cup. Place in freezer for just a few minutes to harden the chocolate.
- Your coconut butter should be melted so if it’s in a solid state (which it probably is), you will need to melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Once it’s melted, stir in 1 scoop of Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen. Place 1 teaspoon of the mixture in each cup on top of the chocolate. Place back in the freezer while you melt the remaining chocolate bar.
- Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon on top of the melted chocolate, and use a spoon to spread the chocolate evenly over the top and near close to the sides. Freeze for 5 minutes until solid. Once cups are firm, you can store them in the fridge until ready to eat.
This recipe is in partnership with Vital Proteins! Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible!