So far I’ve been pretty lucky this Winter, as I have yet to come down with a cold. Yet everyone around me seems to have some sort of illness. Either my immune system is really kicking ass this year, or it’s simply the fact that I work from home and therefore have lower exposure to germs.
I vote both.
Of course, I understand how terrible a raging cold can be. When I was young and frequently sick, my Mom made me the best soups filled with spices, herbs, fresh vegetables and noodles. They were easy, inexpensive and a great way to get nutrients in when you weren’t feeling the best.
Did you know that soup can actually speed up the healing process of a cold? The warm liquid helps to move the mucus from the nose! The more you know.
Today I thought I would share my favorite recipe for chicken noodle soup, one of my favorite easy and comforting meals when feeling under the weather. I’m partnering with my friends over at Peapod, an online grocery and delivery service, for this recipe. When busy (or sick!), I love ordering groceries from them. They have an amazing mobile app that makes ordering your groceries both easy and convenient!
The best part is that you can get A LOT for a little. You don’t have to spend an insane amount of money to get your groceries delivered. Currently Peapod isn’t available everywhere, but if you live in the Chicagoland area, I highly recommend checking it out.
For all you busy ladies and gentlemen, I made this healthy chicken noodle soup even easier by making it in the slow cooker! Just throw all the ingredients, then let it cook all day long. To keep the noodles al dente, you’ll toss them in about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritionally speaking, it’s made a little healthier than the original version because you can use whole wheat noodles or a multi-grain noodle with extra fiber. You can even make this recipe gluten free by using high quality gluten free noodles.
I hope you enjoy this comforting and healthy chicken noodle soup. If you want a vegetarian version, feel free to use chickpeas or white beans instead of chicken.
Make this recipe? Upload a picture to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen! I love to see what you’re making! xo.
More healthy slow cooker recipes to try:
Comforting & Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup (with a hint of lemon & rosemary)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots (from about 4 large carrots)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh diced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh diced thyme
- 6 oz whole wheat fusilli (see notes below)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Place the chicken, chicken broth, sliced carrots, celery, onions, fresh lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, poultry seasoning, rosemary and thyme in a large slow cooker and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and transfer to a baking sheet or large plate; shred chicken with two forks once it is cool enough to handle. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Stir in the pasta, cover, and cook on high for 10-20 minutes longer or until noodles are al dente. Do not overcook or the noodle will get mushy!
- Taste and season soup with additional salt and pepper and extra herbs if desired. Serve with a side salad and soup crackers. Makes 6 servings.
To make gluten free: Use gluten free brown rice noodles and watch how long you cook them for at the end so that they don't get mushy.
If you desired more lemon flavor, juice another lemon and add it to the broth. This soup is amazing when you have a cold.