As you can see via Instagram, Tony and I have been grilling up a storm this summer. In fact, we’ve been grilling on our deck nearly every night while our adorable little cat Milly watches and meows outside the window. We call it family night. Hah.
If you’ve been following AK for a while now, you know that my boyfriend is in love with meat, fries and pizza. On the other hand, I’m fond of spinach, avocados and nut butters. It’s an odd little combination but we love and accept each other’s need for particular foods, often planning meals around each of our individual cravings (like these healthier baked fries!).
In an effort to keep Tony satisfied with his meals in addition to the both of us eating healthy, I created this tasty grilled healthy chicken burger recipe! The burgers are jazzed and flavored with my favorite basil pesto and Go Veggie mozzarella shreds. Add a fresh, juicy tomato slice on top and you’ve basically got yourself a caprese burger.
Or also known as a really dank burger.
I used Go Veggie mozzarella in this recipe; the slices are wonderful because they’re actually lactose free, so even those with sensitivities can enjoy a little cheese on their burger.
If you’re like me and prefer chicken over beef, then it’s time to grill these babies up over the weekend and chow down. For me, chicken and turkey are better choices because they’re lower in saturated fat and a great source of lean protein.
Hope you enjoy! xo!
More healthy burger recipes to try:
Healthy Chicken Burgers with Spinach Basil Pesto & Mozzarella
- For the pesto:
- 3 cups organic spinach
- 5 large basil leaves
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (or Go Veggie Dairy Free Parmesan)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon water, to thin pesto
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For the burgers:
- 1 pound ground chicken thighs (or you can use 95% lean ground chicken)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Go Veggie Lactose Free Mozzarella slices
- 4 whole grain, gluten free buns or lettuce wraps
- For burgers: tomato slices, onion slices, avocado slices and buns of choice
- First make the pesto: Add spinach, basil, lemon, olive oil, nuts, parmesan cheese and garlic to the bowl of a food processor or high-powered blender (such as a Vitamix). Process until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of water to thin pesto if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Lightly oil grill grate. In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, 2 tablespoons of pesto, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together and form into 4 patties.
- Place burgers on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until done. Top with cheese and grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve each burger in a bun or lettuce wrap and top with 1 tablespoon of pesto, plus any additional toppings you might like such as avocado, onion or tomato.
Nutrition for burgers do not include buns or extra toppings such as tomato, onion or avocado.
If you want to add a whole grain hamburger bun, here's the nutrition for one burger (with bun): 402 calories | 18.7g fat | 3.7g saturated fat | 27.8g carbs | 4.8g fiber | 2.5g sugar | 35g protein
This post is in partnership with Go Veggie, a brand I trust and have partnered with for over two years. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible!