Today I want to tell you about one of my favorite salads. Yes, it’s a sort of ‘detox salad’.
My mom first made it for me for me three years ago. I adore the recipe for so many reasons: it’s fresh, bright, and flavorful. Plus you can add nearly anything to it to dress it up.
If you’ve never had kale before, this salad is perfect to start with!
The reason I call this a detox salad because not only is it vegan and gluten free, but it also has an incredible amount of good for you ingredients in it.
Side note: I’m watching Dawson’s Creek right now. Paceyyyyyyyy!
Sorry… back to the salad.
It’s made with bright veggies including red, orange, and yellow bell peppers plus carrots and onions.
To keep it flavorful, I added both cilantro and parsley. They taste like a million bucks so you better add those bad boys in. Not kidding!
Oh and the dressing? INCREDIBLE! I adapted it from my lemon dressing in another one of my kale salads. Pretty much essential to the success of the recipe.
Now you’ll need to refrigerate this salad for at least an hour to ensure that dressing marinates with the kale. Because that’s what makes it magical.
Finally add avocado and roasted almonds. If you want to make it a complete meal, you can add quinoa!
I know that you’ll enjoy this salad. Scratch that, you’ll LOVE it!
More healthy salads you’ll love:
Kale Rainbow Detox Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Juice of 3 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if desired to sweeten it up
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the salad:
- 2 bunches kale (about 6-8 cups), desteemed and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- To make dressing: place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar, and salt in bowl; whisk together until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss kale, bell peppers, onions, and carrots together. Add dressing, cilantro, and parsley.
- Use hands to massage kale with dressing; this is important so that the kale absorbs the dressing. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to let flavors soak in.
- Before serving, toss salad again. Top with almonds and avocado. Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!
To make this a full meal, add in a cup or two of cooked quinoa!