Hi guys! I hope your weekend was absolutely fabulous.
I’m excited and kinda also freaking out about this week. I’m getting ready for the big move to Chicago; but have I told you that I’m the absolute worst at packing? I’m serious! Anytime I go on a trip, I always pack the morning of or late the night before. It’s ridiculous really. This weekend my mom came over to help me pack, while I spent most of my time cleaning out my closet attempting to figure out if I should get rid of any of my clothes, shoes and purses. And then it’s like all I want to do is avoid packing by baking more or shopping myself silly on the internet. Oops.
The exciting part about this week is that I’m heading to Kansas City for Chopped Con, a food blogging conference. My friend Maegan and I are going to stay the weekend and explore all of the delicious bakeries and restaurants in KC, so if you have any recommendations I’d love to hear them!
Anyway I know I’m going to need major energy for all of the walking we’ll do in KC otherwise I’ll get real HANGRY. I swear if I don’t eat every 3 hours, I get severe road rage, can’t think and basically am not a functioning human being. Please say I’m not the only one with uncontrollable hunger rage.
A real solution is to always have snacks on hand. Fruit, bars in the fridge, granola, nuts. Anything, really!
These little energy bites are a new favorite. They finally had dates at Trader Joe’s and I knew I had some recipe testing to do. What came out of my experiment is the most magical little bite ever. I’ve always wondered why people love dates so much and now I truly understand their magic.
Yes these are gluten free, vegan, and no sugar added (minus the chocolate chips) little morsels that taste like chocolate chip cookie dough. I swear it! The best part? They’re only 4 ingredients and SO easy to make. I was snacking on them in about 15 minutes. Another perk is that you can totally customize them by adding different flavor combos.
Keep these in the fridge or take them to work for easy snacking. You can also make these into bars instead of balls and individually wrap them in plastic wrap for later. I liked the bar version but the bites are just too dang cute. Plus, it also kinda feels like you’re eating a big scoop of cookie dough. Other options to try with these is adding coconut, dried fruit or different kinds of chocolate chips. It’s up to you!
More no bake snacks & treats to try:
4-Ingredient Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (vegan & gluten-free)
- 16 medjool dates, pitted (about 1 cup pitted)
- 1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (I love the Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a food processor, add in pitted dates and process until a date paste forms. Next add in almond butter and vanilla if using and process again until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl then fold in oats and chocolate chips; you may need to use your hands to get it well incorporated. Please note that the dough will be very sticky, but that's okay
- Roll the dough into a little bit smaller than 2 inch balls and place on parchment paper or plastic wrap.
Freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes to help firm up the bites. Makes about 14 bites.
Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.