If you’ve been following AK for a while there’s a good chance you’ve tried one of my famous, flavorful & unique salad dressings. You’ll also probably know that I’m completely tahini obsessed, so it’s only fair that some of my favorite homemade dressings are made with tahini.
This creamy and wonderful tahini poppy seed dressing is a summery twist on my all-time favorite tahini sauce and it’s one you’ll want to make again and again. There’s something about the little poppy seeds sprinkled throughout the dressing that makes it the perfect pairing with fruit salads like my summer peach spinach salad.
Add this dressing to your repertoire ASAP and don’t forget to try out our fav ways to use it at the bottom of the post!
What you’ll need to make this tahini poppy seed dressing
The best part about this dairy free poppy seed dressing is how simple it is to make yet how delicious it turns out every time. It’s creamy, light and the perfect mix of sweet and savory. Here’s what you’ll need to make:
- Tahini: I love using tahini in salad dressings because it creates a creamy texture without any dairy or any nuts.
- Lemon juice: every good salad dressing needs a little acidity to bring the flavors together.
- Sweetener: feel free to use maple syrup, honey or regular sugar to sweeten the tahini poppy seed dressing just a bit.
- Dijon mustard: the tangy kick from mustard adds a lovely, savory element.
- Poppy seeds: it’s not a poppy seed dressing without them!
- Seasonings: you’ll also need some onion powder and salt for an additional savory flavor.
- Water: a little water will help thin the dressing to your liking.
Make it your own
Here are a few swaps and additions you can try to make this tahini poppy seed dressing your own:
- Looking for a tahini swap? If you don’t have any tahini, a natural, creamy cashew butter will still work. I do recommend sticking with tahini if possible for the best flavor.
- Add some herbs. Some dried or freshly chopped dill will add a nice herby flavor.
- Keep it vegan. Remember to use pure maple syrup or sugar instead of honey to keep the tahini poppy seed dressing vegan.
- Level up the creaminess. Add extra creaminess and protein by mixing in some plain Greek yogurt!
How to make the creamiest poppy seed dressing
- Mix it up. Add all of your ingredients for the tahini poppy seed dressing to a bowl and mix it well.
- Thin it. I suggest starting with 2 tablespoons of water and then adding more as needed so that the dressing is pourable. Everyone’s tahini is a bit different so you may need more or less water depending on the type you have.
- Adjust your flavor. Taste the dressing and add more sweetener or salt as you like. Then enjoy!
Our fav ways to use tahini poppy seed dressing
Yes, this dressing is amazing on fresh salads, but it can do so much more!
- Start by tossing this wonderful salad with the dressing, or drizzle it on a yummy pasta salad.
- Use it as a marinade for grilled chicken or grilled salmon!
- Drizzle it onto a platter of your favorite grilled veggies (or roasted ones).
- Add to your favorite wrap for additional flavor and creaminess.
Store it for later
Store this creamy tahini poppy seed dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up o 5 days. This recipe is great for making a bigger batch for tons of different recipes! If the sauce appears too thick for your liking when you take it out of the fridge, simply add a bit of water and mix it well.
More of our go-to homemade salad dressings
- Sunshine Dressing
- Vegan Caesar Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Creamy Feta Yogurt Dressing (or dip!)
- Sesame Ginger Dressing
Get all of our delicious salad dressing recipes here!
I hope you love this creamy tahini poppy seed dressing! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Creamy Tahini Poppy Seed Dressing
Deliciously creamy tahini poppy seed dressing made with 6 core ingredients and a touch of natural sweetness. This wonderful tahini poppy seed dressing is both dairy free and nut free and makes the perfect addition to your favorite summer salads!
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey, depending on how sweet you like your dressing (or sub sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons water, to thin the dressing
In a small bowl mix together tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup/honey, dijon mustard, poppy seeds, onion powder, salt and water to thin the dressing. Taste and add more maple syrup or honey if you like your poppy seed dressing a bit sweeter.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats