Winter squash is probably one of my favorite ingredients to cook with in the fall and winter. It adds a delicious sweet and savory element to any recipe and packs plenty of fiber for keeping you full and satisfied. With each type of winter squash the recipe options are endless, which is why they’re perfect for pretty much any meal of the day.
Types of winter squash
So, what are common types of winter squash? Turns out there are more than you might think:
- Acorn squash: small, round, mildly sweet and slightly nutty.
- Butternut squash: pale orange on the outside with a “neck” and round bottom. Naturally sweet.
- Delicata squash: long & cylindrical with yellow skin and green stripes. It tastes kind of like sweet potato and the skin is less tough than other squashes.
- Kabocha squash: also known as a Japanese pumpkin, it’s small and round (like a pumpkin) but with green skin.
- Spaghetti squash: typically wide and cylindrical with yellow skin and “stringy,” pasta-like flesh when it’s cooked.
- Pumpkin: the one and only! I recommend using a sugar or cooking pumpkin when making recipes (not the kind you carve). The recipes below are ones that use fresh pumpkin (not canned).
What makes squash special?
Besides being naturally sweet, unique, and fun to cook with, winter squash is also packed with vitamins A & C, fiber, folate and antioxidants. Truly nutrition powerhouses!
Tips for preparing & cooking winter squash
While I don’t have recipes for every type of squash listed, I have a few tips and tricks for easily cutting, dicing and cooking a couple of favs.
- Get all of my tips and tricks for cutting and dicing a pumpkin.
- See exactly how to peel, cut & dice a butternut squash, plus a simple and delicious way to prepare it!
Time to get your squash on! If you try any of these winter squash recipes be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked it. As always, I’d love to see a photo of your creations in our Facebook group.
Soups & Stews
Butternut Squash, Chickpea & Lentil Moroccan Stew
Nourishing Yellow Chickpea Pumpkin Curry with Coconut Brown Rice
Healing Thai Butternut Squash Lentil Soup (with a slow cooker option!)
Butternut Squash Green Chile Chicken Soup
Vegan White Bean & Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Maple Butternut Squash + Apple Soup
Sweet Squash Recipes
Chai-Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins with Salted Honey Glaze
Protein-Packed Breakfast Acorn Squash
Healthy Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Casserole with Almond Oat Crumble
Vegan Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas with Jalapeño Cashew Crema
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Spicy Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas with Chipotle Greek Yogurt Sauce
Pasta & Casseroles
Roasted Butternut Squash Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Couscous
Butternut Squash, Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Vegan Butternut Squash Lasagna with Garlic Tahini Tofu Cream
Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Peas (vegan & gluten free!)
Side Dishes & Salads
Winter Butternut Squash Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
Balsamic Herb Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables
Winter Roasted Butternut Squash Black Lentil Salad with Grapes + Arugula
Spicy Maple Roasted Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Bacon
Butternut Squash and Kale Salad with Pomegranate, Toasted Almonds + Goat Cheese
Garlic Chili-Maple Roasted Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate + Gorgonzola
Unique Squash Recipes
Cranberry Pecan Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash Bacon Spinach Quiche
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes over Spaghetti Squash
I love all of these recipes! Butternut squash is an ingredient I have to get back into. It looks great with the Brussels sprouts!! The curry is another recipe I have to try. It looks fantastic!
It’s so versatile in the fall/winter! You’ll have to give these a try 🙂
All of your recipes are really delicious.
So glad you like them!