How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
The easiest tutorial for slow cooker chicken breast you’ll ever need! Learn exactly how to slow cook chicken breasts so that they’re juicy, tender and perfectly cooked every time. Use this method for cooking chicken breast right in your crockpot and easily add it to your favorite recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
If you’ve made my easy slow cooker pulled chicken sandwiches, get ready to use those skills to make perfectly cooked, juicy slow cooker chicken breast any time, anywhere. This super easy method for slow cooking chicken breasts is a great, hands-off approach to cooking chicken whenever you need to add it to specific recipes, but it’s also incredibly easy to spice it up with marinades and sauces.
Beat the heat this summer by cooking chicken breasts in your crockpot and avoiding a hot oven. You’ll just need a few simple ingredients and a few hours for the best slow cooker chicken breasts to add to salads, burrito bowls, tacos and more. Enjoy!
Everything you’ll need to make slow cooker chicken breast
We’re keeping it super simple with this method for slow cooking chicken breast, but you can always feel free to jazz your chicken up with one of my homemade chicken marinades or seasonings. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken: we’re using one pound of boneless skinless chicken breast in this tutorial
- Water: you’ll need just 1/2 cup of water to cook the chicken breast in your crockpot. You can also use chicken broth or even your favorite BBQ sauce or buffalo sauce as pictured below!
- Seasonings: feel free to stay neutral with salt and pepper, or try one of my favorite chicken marinades!
Go organic (if possible)
If it’s accessible, I recommend using organic chicken breasts whenever possible. They tend to be much juicier and less “tough,” than non-organic chicken breasts, so when you’re using the chicken as a blank canvas to add to recipes it makes a big difference.
Have fun with marinades & seasonings
This method for slow cooking chicken acts as a blank canvas you can use in any recipes you’d like. I have tons of seasonings and marinades to try with this method, too! Get them in these tutorials & recipes:
What’s great about using your slow cooker, too, is that you can cook the chicken in basically any liquid you’d like. Try using BBQ sauce, adding your fav hot sauce, or even a coconut milk base, like in curry recipes. And be sure to get my best easy & healthy chicken marinades here.
Don’t forget this tool when slow cooking chicken breasts
If you don’t yet have a meat thermometer, it’s time to get one! I highly recommend having a meat thermometer so that you can check the doneness of your chicken without having to cut into it and lose the juiciness. Here is a great one that I use all the time.
How to cook chicken breasts in a crockpot
If you’ve spent some time making AK dinner recipes, you’ve probably tried out one of my delicious slow cooker chicken recipes. In this tutorial, we’re using the same method but going super simple and basic to create juicy slow cooker chicken breasts that you can add to salads, bowls and more. Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: arrange the chicken. Place your chicken breasts in the bowl of a slow cooker with enough room so that they’re not on top of each other.
Step 2: add liquid. Pour water over the chicken breasts so that it just barely covers them.
Step 3: season the chicken. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper (or any seasonings you’d like — I suggest this amazing sazon seasoning!) As a reminder, feel free to try out any of my amazing chicken marinades before slow cooking your chicken breasts.
Step 4: cover & cook. Cover your slow cooker and cook chicken breasts on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
Step 5: check for doneness. Use your meat thermometer to be sure the chicken has reached 165 degrees F.
Step 6: let it rest. Always the key! Remove your chicken breasts from the slow cooker and transfer them to a clean bowl, plate or cutting board. Let them rest for 5-10 minutes to seal in those juices before cutting or shredding.
Freezing & storing cooked chicken breast
After you’ve cooked your chicken breast in your crockpot or slow cooker, you can either use the chicken right away or store it for later:
- To store: let the chicken breast cool completely and transfer it whole, shredded or cubed to an airtight container. Place the container in the fridge and use the chicken within 4-5 days.
- To freeze: repeat the steps above but instead place your chicken in the freezer. Cooked chicken breast will stay good in the freezer for about 3 months. When you’re ready to use it, simply thaw it in the refrigerator and enjoy it cold with salad recipes or heat it up in the microwave for warm recipes.
Delicious ways to use slow cooker chicken breast
- Add it to delicious soups like this Curry Chicken Noodle Soup, my famous Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup or this nourishing Golden Coconut Chicken Lentil Soup
- Mix it into a fresh salad or wrap like this Spicy Ranch Chopped Chicken Cabbage Salad, this Cashew Crunch Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad or these Crunchy Rainbow Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps
- Use it to add extra protein as a topping in flavorful BBQ Ranch Chicken Quinoa Bowls or DIY Chicken Burrito Bowls
Recommended tools for slow cooker chicken
Get all of our go-to kitchen essentials here!
More slow cooker chicken recipes to try
These amazing recipes using the same method from this tutorial on how to slow cook chicken, but with even more flavor varieties and ingredients!
- Incredible Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Get all of our delicious chicken recipes here!
Try these other methods for cooking perfect chicken
- How to Grill Chicken Breast that’s Perfectly Juicy
- How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken
- How to Poach Chicken Breast
- How to Make an Easy Roasted Chicken
I hope you love this simple tutorial on how to slow cook the perfect chicken breast! If you try it out be sure to leave a comment and let us know how you used your perfectly cooked chicken. Enjoy, xo!
The Best Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
The easiest tutorial for slow cooker chicken breast you'll ever need! Learn exactly how to slow cook chicken breasts so that they're juicy, tender and perfectly cooked every time. Use this method for cooking chicken breast right in your crockpot and easily add it to your favorite recipes.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- Freshly ground salt & black pepper
- try one of our delicious chicken marinades
Place your chicken breasts in the bowl of a crock pot. Pour water over the chicken breasts so that it just barely covers them.
Sprinkle the chicken breasts with plenty of salt and pepper. Cover your crock pot and cook chicken breasts on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Chicken is done when the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F. Use chicken in your favorite recipes. Perfect for shredding!
To store: let the chicken breast cool completely and transfer it whole, shredded or cubed to an airtight container. Place the container in the fridge and use the chicken within 4-5 days.
To freeze: repeat the steps above but instead place your chicken in the freezer. Cooked chicken breast will stay good in the freezer for about 3 months. When you’re ready to use it, simply thaw it in the refrigerator and enjoy it cold with salad recipes or heat it up in the microwave for warm recipes.
Method by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.